CD-R not recognized

I’ve been searching through the internet, and I actually found a person on this forum with the exact same problem I’m having, but his problem went unsolved and the thread was from five years ago, so I didn’t want to bring it back with a reply.

I have a box of Maxell CD-R disks that my computer won’t read. I have tried Sonic recording software, CDBurnerXP, and the good ol’ drag and drop technique, but nothing seems to read the disk. I have gone into the properties thing for my dvd/cd writer drive and looked under the Recording tab, and everything is as it should be.

Could I be missing some sort of driver, or should I just try a different brand of cd? I appreciate the help!

EDIT: I’m convinced that it’s something to do with my PC, because I took the same disk I’ve been trying to work with to another computer and put some test files on it using Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 successfully. When I put the disk in my writer drive on this pc, it still doesn’t recognize it, but my regular CD drive reads it. I’m not sure what to do about this.

Hi and Welcome!

Can you read commercially manufactured discs with that drive?
Can you read other burned discs with this drive?

Please also read this article: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Michael