Laptop: Acer TravelMate 240
OS specs: Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
CD-R/DVD drive specs: QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242
The drive can read all CDs / previously burned CD-Rs / & DVDs except for 'blank' CD-R.
When any blank CD-R is inserted, the drive just goes on and on making straining sounds and doesn't read/recognize it.
History of the problem:
I have been using Nero since 4 years now to backup data onto CD-Rs on my laptop. I uninstalled NTI CD/DVD Maker (factory supplied with laptop) using the add/remove utility last fortnight. Afterwards Nero showed an error message that the "drive is empty". Windows showed an error as well -- "Please insert a disk into drive".
In my attempt to troubleshoot the problem, I did the following, however the error persisted until the last step:
- confirmed that the disc is spinning in the tray
- ensured the driver is working properly (via device manager)
- ensured that drive letter assignment is set to a letter other than C
- cold started the computer
- wiped the lens with a swab & alcohol
- switched the CD-R discs with a higher quality make
- uninstalled and re-installed Nero
- downloaded and installed a free burner software "CDBurnerXP" (error shown upon running it -- 'No media in drive')
- deleted registry entries for UpperFilters and LowerFilters using the 'Guided Help' fix provided here
I had also reset the DMA (as I noticed that it was in PIO mode) using the script provided here
Then I installed certain System ASPI Layer drivers recommended here
Next I re-installed NTI CD Maker from the OEM CD. and I could write on blank discs again
Strangely though now, within a week I'm back to the same old situation. My drive doesn't recognize any CD-R. Even NTI displays an error -- 'Drive not ready'
Could you please share your thoughts? (and also help me find a firmware update)