CD-R media roundup @ Digit-Life

vbimport

Check out http://www.digit-life.com/articles/cdrdisktestp5/index.html
They've tested some 650 discs and not suprisingly, Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals seems to have won... :slight_smile:

Hi,

Just bought 300 of the unbranded Mitsui 80min cd’s from svp (400 but only 300 for me), burnt 20+ in varying degrees i.e data, data with overburn, svcd + svcd/overburn, and I test everyone with CDspeed scandisk and quality check and everyone is 100% fine - green all the way, no errors and full speed (burnt using plextor drives).

I cannot say the same about Diskrite, TDK, or some other makes.

They cost around £0.46 each, but they are quality disks.

I will not be using any other make from now on - not worth the gamble in quality+media life terms for cheaper makes.

Mitsui for life :slight_smile:

Ice’y

How old is the review?

Seems kind of odd that the tests were at such slow speeds. I have seen other tests that say 4X is generally the most error prone speed to write with.

I dug around and found an older one… Part IV

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/cdrdisktestp4/index.html

Look who was consistently good in the tests: Imation Phtalocyanine made by CMC Magnetics. :confused: It keeps right up with Kodak… :eek:

That’s not supposed to happen! :frowning:

Originally posted by godzilla525
[B]Look who was consistently good in the tests: Imation Phtalocyanine made by CMC Magnetics. :confused: It keeps right up with Kodak… :eek:

That’s not supposed to happen! :frowning: [/B]

(Almost) any Phtalocyanine disc can keep up with Kodak…

I have a bunch of CMC phtalacyanine discs and they are all 99,9% (CDSpeed gives me a red sector on anything, including Kodak) green…

Hi,

This red sector business is worrying - from comments in various threads, it appears it is very writer / media / reader dependant - kinda like all the results we are seeing with Plextors and safedisc :slight_smile:

All I know so far is the Mitsui’s continually work perfectly whereas other media in my Plextor (or the 2 others at work) show varying results. With a good disc other than the Mitsui’s, this also seems to go in hand with slight slow-downs and error reports - whether correctable or not.

Don’t know if the suspect media is good or not, maybe this is a Plextor bugbare whereby they (firmware, lasers, etc) are not burning quite right to many brands of disc - so much for all the advertising crap saying 'new technology, great optimised burns on all media- - rubbish perhaps?

Ice’y