CD-R Media Question

Hi guys, I am new here! I have been looking around the site for a while, reading old threads on CD-R media, trying to find out which is the best choice for me.

Basically, I need to make an archive of my CD music. I know the importance of having two copies, and I need to start making duplicates to store for a long time. I want these to last as long as possible, so that I can share my extensive music collection with my children. The most important feature is that they be long-lasting. Error-free media is important, too, obviously, but I am not a true audiophile, and mostly I just want to have quality copies decades from now. I don’t plan on playing them, since I will use my current copies to rip and then play off harddrive or MP3 player.

From my reading here, people seem to be big fans of Taiyo Yuden. However, I have read elsewhere that Cyanine dye is not particularly stable in the long term. I assume you guys don’t buy this, but I thought maybe there were other, non-longevity reasons. I can afford to buy a little piece of mind - is Taiyo Yuden the best bet for being playable decades from now?

From what I have read, MAM-A is kind of a thing of the past. It seems to have had a really big following for a while, but has lost a lot of popularity after their sale. I understand in particular that their DVD-R media is inferior. How about their Archival CD-R media? I need the longest lasting 80 minute CD-R around.

I have picked up as much information as I can from past threads. The ones that refer to MAM-A/Mitsui seem to generally be pretty old, so I’m not sure about the current situation. What do you guys think? Thanks very much in advance, and I’m sorry that this is a similar question to what has been asked before. But it is a little different, in that I am asking, contemporarily, what is the best bet for long-lasting media, price not a significant factor.

Best,

– Ned Ruggeri

Despite being cyanine-based, TY CDRs are fairly resistant to degradation thanks to the high quality manufacturing, with the notable exception of UV LIGHT-induced degradation.

TY CDRs stored away from direct natural light will live for long. My first ones are from 1997 and they’re just as new. :cool:

MAM? I wouldn’t touch these nowadays. :disagree: - better choose any premium CDR media from TDK or Maxell. Most Maxell CDRs are actually Ritek discs, and these are very good and very stable (Ritek CDRs, NOT DVDRs’’ :cop: )

Merci! I was about to make a big mistake. Unless TDK or Maxell (their premium stuff) has a reputation surpasing TY, I’d probably just go with TY, since in the past I thought Maxell had a very bad reputation. I might be remembering wrong.

But just to make sure - Taiyo Yuden’s non-printable silver CD-R has a reputation for being as stable and long-lasting as any? Do I have to look to make sure it’s made in Japan rather than somewhere else? Is the product I would buy in the US going to be as overseas? Thanks very much again! I appreciate it!

I thought about it, but I won’t regail you with my college-French. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the merci :wink: - de rien! :slight_smile:

Genuine Maxell in-house manufactured CDRs are just as good as the TY ones. I’ve got lots of them and they’re totally stable. Can’t seem to find them anymore, though.

But just to make sure - Taiyo Yuden’s non-printable silver CD-R has a reputation for being as stable and long-lasting as any?
Yes they do! :iagree: - with the exception mentioned in my post above. Resistance to UV light of Phtalocyanine-based premium media is better. In real-world, though, unless you leave your discs in the sunlight, it won’t make a difference.
Do I have to look to make sure it’s made in Japan rather than somewhere else?
Genuine TY is always made in Japan.
Is the product I would buy in the US going to be as overseas?
Most definitly AFAIK.
I thought about it, but I won’t regail you with my college-French. :slight_smile:
Me can too remembering of the english that teached my teacher to me in the school, was much good english, yes! :bigsmile:

Thanks very much again! You’ve been very helpful! If anyone else has anything to say, or just to second Francksoy, I’d be happy to hear. But at this point, I’m gonna start making plans for a pretty big order of CDRs!

:slight_smile:

– Ned Ruggeri

I can second what Francksoy says (although I wasn’t aware of the UV bit - thanks Francksoy!).

I can probably also give you a short summary on the other side of the story : what about Mitsui/MAM and phthalocyanine.

Mitsui decided to get out of the CD making business and sold off to MAM. If you see any Mitsui ID discs now, they are made by MAM. MAM’s quality control since then really isn’t that good which is why people are wary of their discs.

Phthalocyanine is a good dye. I have CD-Rs using this dye which are 8 years old and still working fine. More so because these discs are kept in tropical conditions. However, the problem is that poor quality control can lead to discs that die in a short time, no matter what dye is used. I’ve also got cheap phthalocyanine based CD-Rs which only lasted a year or two.

Currently, it is a bit difficult to find a reliable manufacturer with decent quality control which makes phthalocyanine based CD-Rs. We know that TY has very good quality control and they invented CD-Rs after all, so they definitely know what they are doing. Coupled with the info from Francksoy above UV being the only weakness of cyanine, you are better off sticking with TY CD-Rs.

Yup, as mentioned above Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs are also my recommendation. However if you are currently in the US, I recommend stocking up while you are here. Definitely get better prices here than you would in Europe on media.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy? I hear there are a lot of fakes out… Thanks again dudes! Great forum.

Sorry for the double-post. I am looking at buying from Rima.com, but are there are a lot of different models - I understand there are ‘value’ discs too, whichI assume is not the best product (the one I want). Is this the product I want?

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1160&Category_Code=TAIYOYUDEN

Thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions :smiley:

That is the best recommendation that we can give you for the US, the unbranded stuff from rima is 100% authentic (has been proven time and time again).