CD-R media most compatible w/ older portables?

vbimport

Hi guys, new to the site here. I have an Aiwa XP-V70 portable CD player which I use in the car. I love the player because it has selectable 10/40sec ESP…I never need more than 10sec in the car, and there is no sound quality loss on the 10sec mode. I also have a Magnavox one w/45 sec ESP, but there’s noticable quality loss, so I don’t like it as much. The XP-V70 does NOT seem to like the new(ish) 80-minute CD-Rs. It takes the 74-minute CD-Rs no problem. Some 80min’s it will play fine, some with a little trouble, some with a lot of trouble, some not at all. More often than not, it’s the latter two. The Magnavox takes any.

These are the ones I’ve found won’t play at all or with much difficulty:

Sony 80min CD-R (will not play)
Memorex music format 80min CD-R (will not play)
Imation music format CD-R(very difficult)

Seems the only ones I can get to play are Jensen data 80min CD-R, and even those are sketchy. It doesn’t recognise any CD-RWs.

What have you guys found to be the most compatible with older portables? and, does anyone know where I could possibly pick up some 74min CD-R?

thanks

edit I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my burner is a HL-DT-ST GCE-8160B, max 16X, I usually burn on 8X

Hello, You might like to try searching through the media forum. There is alot of good stuff there. Never heard of the burner.
Taiyo Yuden ( Fugi’s) among others are common, excellent media.
You might check out the software forum also.

How are Maxell 74min/650MB CD-Rs? I just found access to a 100 pack of these.

Forgive me if I seem inexperienced, I just want to be able to use my good portable without problems, and buying batches of CD-Rs which just do not work in it lately has been frustrating the hell out of me.

In general, audio players don’t like 80 min CDr’s, for several reasons. For max compatability, stick with 74min.
Older audio players also seem to prefer the darker dye types. Verbatim DLP, particularly the old 16x blue ones, (burned at 16x or less), and any TY media may work for you.

I noticed. I don’t know who’s big bright idea it was to introduce the new 80-min format and subsequently phase out the 74-min, but what ever happened to “don’t fix what doesn’t need to be fixed”?

Originally posted by cmw18
[B]How are Maxell 74min/650MB CD-Rs? I just found access to a 100 pack of these.

Forgive me if I seem inexperienced, I just want to be able to use my good portable without problems, and buying batches of CD-Rs which just do not work in it lately has been frustrating the hell out of me. [/B]

The gold ones that say 40x’s ? They burn without errors on the ones I tested but they max out at 28 or maybe 32 or lower and just stay there.

the GCE-8160B is max 16X, so no problems there… I usually burn on 8x anyway.