CD-R Media and exposure to sunlight

Well, everybody knows one isn’t supposed to keep discs in direct sunlight, but sometimes they get left on windowsills by one’s nieces and nephews after they’re through playing… :wink:

So I did some more deliberate placement of discs in sunlight, typically for 1/2-2 hours, and came up with some very interesting results:

All tests done with CDSpeed 1.01.3 on a Samsung SC-52b CDROM capable of giving C2 Pointers, discs kept recording side up facing the sunlight. The discs were of different ages (I can’t help that-sorry!)

Kodak Gold Ultima 12X (he he!-from my stash) - no damaged or unreadable sectors - 100% OK

LG 40x white label discs (CMC magnetics) - 2% damaged, less than 1% unreadable - still nice

MMORE 32x color label discs (MBI) - 1% damaged, 3% unreadable - Unbelievable for media this cheap

Princo 24x white label - disc failed - thrown out by drive - no testing possible

Princo 48x white label - disc failed - yada yada yada

Samsung Unbranded 24x media (Postech) - disc failed - yada yada yada

It seems that most discs are more sensitive than people including me care to think… what think you? Try to test some ‘unwanted’ discs and add on to this?

Do you have some Mitsubishi or Taiyo Yuden for testing? BTW, I like your result with Princo! :bigsmile:

Have some ‘Mitsubishi Gold 700MB 80min Multi Speed’

Also labeled as “Golden PC Disc” on the CD.

Check says maybe CMC :confused:

Discs are expensive, but what the heck…will give u all results tomorrow… :wink:

‘Tested’ the Mitsubishi in 2 flavours:

1. Blue 24x rated cyanine/azo - only 3% damaged, 0.5% unreadable

2. Gold ‘Multi-speed’ (no numbers) - Pthalo - 4% damaged, 0.5% unreadable

Personally I don’t think the numbers mean much at this rate - I was able to copy all the files & folders from the discs back to the HDD without too much trouble using isobuster, so it isn’t catastrophic I guess :smiley:

P.S. checkec out the gold stuff with other identifiers and the original ‘maybe’ was right - it IS CMC! :eek: :confused:

Interesting stuff, cocobongo772002 . It would be nice to see before and after comparisons of the “tested” media. Keep it up. I have a pile of various media riding around in my center console in the New Mexico climate all year round, I have yet to have any of the Mitsubishi or TY media fail in the heat. Several Phillips(CMC) discs have failed. Many other CMC discs have survived. I suspect that it’s the UV that’s killing yours, but the heat may well be a factor too. I like my media sauteed with a little garlic. :slight_smile:

yes it would be good to see some results before you subjected the cdrs to sunlight. it would also be good if you stated what speed you burned them at. oh and one more thing, i was a little unclear when you said you left them recording side up. did that mean you left the label side facing the sunlight or the side that you record to?

Details…Some :smiley:

Speed… all were burned @12x only.

NOT label side up… the side on which the recording is done facing the light.

Did U mean screenshots of the tests? If so, I can’t do it straight away 'coz I have a day job now :smiley: and I don’t have a host to put my images on right now :eek:

Will give you more details when I can snatch some time off from work (and sleep).

:bigsmile:

I reported in the media forums some months ago that I left top-notch Kodak / Mitsui ‘gold’ media in direct sunlight for nearly 2 weeks - 100% all-green no errors in scandisk and CDSpeed before and after.

They claim you can do this or your money back and it appears this is the case.

If cd media loses info (damaged) after only 1-2 hours in direct sunlight then it must be naff indeed. I am very surprised such a short exposure made so much difference.

Still, the plextor branded ‘TY’ media I have now seems sublime :slight_smile:

Ice

Originally posted by cocobongo772002
[B]Details…Some :smiley:

Speed… all were burned @12x only.

NOT label side up… the side on which the recording is done facing the light.

Did U mean screenshots of the tests? If so, I can’t do it straight away 'coz I have a day job now :smiley: and I don’t have a host to put my images on right now :eek:

Will give you more details when I can snatch some time off from work (and sleep).

:bigsmile: [/B]

you should put the discs label side facing up. otherwise your test means nothing. putting it label side up will test the strength of the protective layer and reflective layer. facing it recording side up will not give proper results. sorry buddy

Putting them label side up would be pretty much useless. It is the dye layer on the recording side that generally degrades, not the reflective layer which is just metal after all…

the dye layer isnt on the recording side. everything is on the label side. the recording side only has clear plastic to reflect the data. cmon, somebody back me up.

As the discs are pretty much translucent, without an extra coating layer or label, it hardly matters which side is exposed to the sun.