CD-R info

vbimport

Is there any way to get my DVD drives to obtain CD-R disc info? As it stands now, they don’t even seem to recognize the manufacturer. My old CD-RW drive (which is back home in a different city) could recognize the manufacturer and other info along with it. Any ideas?

Hi,

try Nero CD/DVD Speed. It should show the manufacturer information in the Disc Info tab.

Michael

That was the first thing I tried before I even posted. No luck. It shows info for DVD media but not CD media. Any ideas?

Nero CD/DVD Speed can not identify all manufactures but on my side it works the most of the time.

Hi,

What drive are you using? Some drives indeed don’t report Disc info for CD-R.

Any ideas?
Buy another drive. There is no other solution.

Michael

The first two screenshots are made with the same already written disc, but the Samsung will be fine if the disc is blank:

Thanks for the screens. I tried all that out, which is basically what I tried before, but this time I tried both empty and discs that had already been burned. Tried both options in both drives (all 4 combinations) and no info.

Sony DRU-810A @ BenQ DW1640 BSLB
Pioneer DVR-111D 1.23 (soon to be @ 111L 8.29)

Well since I’m becoming more and more of a CDfreak by the day :iagree: I was gonna get myself a third DVD drive anyway. Obviously a CD-RW would do the trick. But the original reason I wanted a third drive was to be really good at reading (i.e.: scratched/damaged/old CDs & DVDs). So is there a DVD+/-RW drive that can do that as well as identify CD-Rs? What would you suggest?

Saucerful,

Have you tried CDR Identifier? It is an old program but does its job.
Just google “CDR Identifier”, Here is a screen shot of it.

Just tried it on both drives. No luck.

Hi,

I think, the Benq should do the job, as does my 1650. Perhaps there is some configuration issue.
Do have software like Daemon Tools or Alcohol installed? If so, then uninstall them in order to see if that works.
Also, it is a good idea to put a copy of Nero’s wnaspi.dll into the folder your version of CD/DVD Speed is located.

Obviously a CD-RW would do the trick.
DVDRW drives should work also. (They even have to in order to write properly onto CD-R media) Any of my drives (see signature) is able to report the MID of CD media. The Samsung seems to be quirky with written discs.
But the original reason I wanted a third drive was to be really good at reading (i.e.: scratched/damaged/old CDs & DVDs). So is there a DVD+/-RW drive that can do that as well as identify CD-Rs? What would you suggest?
My Samsung is an excellent reader (maybe not one of the fastest), even better than my Sony@Liteon. But as described above, there is a slight problem in identifying already written CD-R discs.

Michael

Well, guys, not sure exactly what I did but I’ve got CDR Identifier to work now! Nothing comes up in CD-DVD Speed, even with wnaspi32.dll in the same folder, but that’s not a huge deal at all.

My drives seem to be doing this as well. They’ll only identify blank CD-R discs. Again, not a big deal. As long as I can identify it before I burn, there’s a great chance it’ll still be the same kind of disc after I burn something on it. :wink:

Thanks for this info! :clap: Of course, my rig has exhausted all its IDE channels (2 HDDs @ channel 0; 2 ODDs @ channel 1) so I’m in the market for a SATA ODD. I see yours is a SATA? Hmm… :slight_smile:

Now, the true CDFreak can spot a CD-R manufacturer just by looking at the code in the inner ring near the center. :stuck_out_tongue:

Give me time. :stuck_out_tongue: Give me time.