[CD-R]How can I tell a Verbatim is an Azo?

vbimport

As title, recently I got a 10-pack CD-R that marked as “Verbatim DataLifePlus (#94467, Verbatim Co., 2002)”, made in Taiwan, for Canadian $4 (about US $5) [photo enclosed].

Nero with my LiteOn burner shows the disc info:

Recording Layer: Dye Type 3, Long strategy (Cyanine, Azo).

Now I would appreciate if someone can determine if it’s a Cyanine or an Azo disc, since I have never seen Verbatim with this packing & amazing price.

Also, is Azo always superior then Cyanine? even a TY Cyanine?

Azo is cyanine, just a slightly different receipe. Neither one is “better”. It’s completely drive-dependant. Some drives don’t like Azo, some do. Most drives like TY, but not all.

Me too, I never seen such verbatim label before.

i never saw dlp+ that looks like that maybe they are fake

AZO and Cyanine are not the same. AZO seems to be stronger against heat and UV tha Cyanine but some writers and players do not like them. So you cant say which is better.
Attached are pics of the structures of the different dyes.
the upper left one is Cyanine and upper right one is Phtalo. The lower one is AZO.

PS. AZO is a much deeper blue than Cyanine If you look ata Cyanine and AZO discs you can see a difference.

I didn’t say they are the same, I said they are both cyanine based.

Thanks to all, especially to the organic chemistry stuff :slight_smile:

AFAIK current Verbatim Azo disc is no more dark blue. I owned a year 2000 Azo advertised as “Metal Azo” (upto 16x writing only). I believe after “Super Azo” came out, discs are in light blue/slightly green, which are only a little darker than those Cyanines.

I did compare this suspicious disc with other standard super Azos, colour turns out to be the same under naked eye. and BTW these discs scan pretty damn well under 8x writing speed, with max C1=8, no C2 errors. :smiley:

P.S. More explicit difference may be the dying type. Metal Azo is type 1 and the current super Azo is type 3. (Am I right?)

:a

No it isn’t.
Please look up the defintions and you can see. AZO is not cyanine based.
What your going to tell me next Cats are based on Dogs ??? :bigsmile:

Evidence when something is cyanine or azo. I’m usseing the IUPAC goldbook standards again.

Cyanine

AZO

Sorry just got to say those discs look sweet.

AZO seems to be (mis)used for marketing purposes these days. For some reason Verbatim puts it on everything, even when it’s a disc made by TY.

:confused: More folks are talking about something about which they don’t have the know how.

Incase of Verbatim dvd-recordables made by Taiyo Yuden.
The used pigment is a AZO pigment. So stateing azo on the box is correct.

i’ve heard about TY using Azo dye.

Does this apply only to TY discs sold under the MKM/Verbatim brand or all (recent) TY dvd media?

i’ve never seen those as well. However from the serial no, it sure looks like a CMC made Azo disc.

More folks are talking about something about which they don’t have the know how.

Incase of Verbatim dvd-recordables made by Taiyo Yuden.
The used pigment is a AZO pigment. So stateing azo on the box is correct.

That still doesn’t change the fact that Verbatim (and others such as the AZO branded POS discs) use the term AZO for marketing purposes. It’s a buzz word.

Verbatim (TY): AZO written on the box.
Verbatim (MCC/MKM): AZO written on the box.
FUJI or any other TY: no mention of AZO anywhere.

Leave the technical specs aside, comment on my comment instead of posting personal attacks. For your statement to be true, AZO and cyanine would be one and the same.

I got a Verbatim AZO MCC in one hand and a Verbatim AZO TY in the other. Are they identicly built, with identical tech.?

From where I stand the answer is no. The reason they put AZO on the packaging of the TY disc is that they want to keep the look the same. They don’t tell you that the disc is made by TY. (Of course ppl here knows how to find out, but Joe Cocker and crew don’t). The spindle looks the same, except for Made in x.

Unless you got an official statement from TY that they manufacture the Verbatim branded (non pastel) discs with MCC tech etc. I stand by my point.

PS: I’m not saying you’re wrong. But I think you read too much into what I wrote.

Sorry for the messy post,
Q.

Qyngali>
AZO was first used by Mitsubishi with CD-Rs. I think Mitsubishi developed it.
DVD-+Rs are made with a mixture of Cyanine and AZO (the proportion of these is each companies own secret) or AZO only (not like CD-Rs where only one pigment is used). This is because Cyanine needs more laserpower to be written to and there is a limit in the reaction time (not suitable for high speed discs). So using only Cyanine is not suitable for DVD-+Rs. AZO is very suitable for high speed disc and is strong against heat and direct sunlight.
Now to our problem:
I dont know if TY uses a mixture of AZO and Cyanine or only AZO. But either way Discs produced by TY use AZO. Since Mitsubishi is the leader in AZO technology they sure will print AZO on each of their packages. So there is realy nothing wrong with Mitsubishi stating AZO on all their discs. Sure the discs produced by TY are not the same as Discs produced by MCC but that does not change the fact that AZO is being used.

I never claimed otherwise, even though I agree that what I wrote could be interpreted that way.
Do you agree that the term AZO as Verbatim uses it is now mostly a marketing gimmick, and doesn’t neccesarily reflect quality (or lack of)? Not to mention other nobrand low quality discs named AZO, which has absolutely nothing to do with Mitsubishi (at least AFAIK).
As I said, try to leave the technical aspects out of it.

Quick question, since I don’t have any here right now so unable to check for myself: Does the Verbatim Pastel state AZO anywhere on the packaging or disc?

Q.

It’s quite more complicated but I agree that Verbatim and Mitsubishi also use the mentioning als up to some marketing level.
See it as this you got some technology which is highly respected because of some reason. Aren’t you allowed then to also specify this that this material uses this great technology.
On one hand you can call it marketing on the other hand you can call it informing.
So you let the folks know that this media uses this technology.
Incase of Mitsubishi it really has gone quite mixed. Still so far MCC has used it fair. On non azo disc’s sold by verbatim I’ve never seen the mentioning of AZO so far. So the claime is used correct by verbatim.

I think this one is much more fair as what 3A and Philips did printing so called testresults at the backside of the media package. That’s what I call a real marketing trick.

For completeness the pastels mention it on the plastic package wrapped arround the 5-pack.
Also verbatim pearl white with CMC MID mentions AZO on the box. Some people were really pissed about it however technically it is correct.

AZO has no meaning at all when talking about quality. It just says that AZO is used.
AZO does not guarantee any good or bad quality. It just is a component used for making DVD±Rs.

I remember all my Verbatim DataLifePlus disc having a serial number that included “AZO” on the bottom side in the inner ring. You could look for that.

are you sure about that? are you talkin on verbatim cdrs or dvds?
i have alot of dlp+ cdrs (shiny silver,superazo,crystal surface) and azo isnt in the inner ring but appears on the media itself and on the spindle cover so in my opinion if its not on the spindle cover/media its probably not azo