CD-R Highest Quality Media?

Non-printed CD’s, used for photos predominantly - Brand Recommedations? Taiyo, Ritek, Verbatim?

Thanks, Bevopa

I would recommend Tayo Yuden, because of the low error rates. But still make two copy of every cd and replace them at least once a year with two new copies if your data is too important to lose.

Many Thanks

Verbatim Pastels are a Taiyo Yuden dye & might be easier to find that branded TY CD-R.

Also Verbatim Super AZO , widely available, is pretty damn good as well.

Excellent advice from Mr. B :iagree:

Hi,

:iagree: at least in good old Europe.

Also Verbatim Super AZO , widely available, is pretty damn good as well.
But they are only second best, compared to the Pastels: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1496711&postcount=9

Michael

You mean they are only second best in your experience, from the TY and MCC media you have tried in your drives. And thanks for sharing your results with us BTW.

In my experience they are equally good, with the TY beating MCC in some drives and MCC beating TY in other drives. :slight_smile:

In any case they are both excellent and among the finest CD-R media available.

Let’s not forget to mention the Plextor CD-R’s, which are Taiyo Yuden as well. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Admitted. :iagree:

And thanks for sharing your results with us BTW.
You’re welcome :slight_smile:

In my experience they are equally good, with the TY beating MCC in some drives and MCC beating TY in other drives. :slight_smile:
Possibly a matter of Country of Origin? My MCC are MII.

In any case they are both excellent and among the finest CD-R media available.
Yepp. :iagree:

I thought about mentioning them, but they are harder to find (in local stores) than the Pastells.

Michael

I would also suggest creative a .sfv file for all the JPGs to do this. This will perform checksums on the JPGs to make sure that the files are exactly the same as the originals.

If you don’t want to keep burning new copies and creating multiple CDs “just in case” you could create some .par2 recovery files, if the files then do have errors then it will almost certainly be able to recover them to the orignal state, providing the errors arn’t massive. This is the method used when transfering files using binary download services, as chunks of the files are often not downloaded correctly or missing on the servers. 95% of the time PAR2 files are enough to recover the files. I would use a recovery amount of 5-10% for burning to optical media. The PAR2 files automaticly perform checksums, so creating a SFV isnt so important, however given a .sfv file is only a few Kb it can never hurt to make double sure.

I would use Easy SFV Creator
http://divxstation.com/softwareId.asp?sId=329

and QuickPAR
http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

Both have GUIs and are very easy to use. As for media, I now only use Taiyo Yuden for important files. If you do find a file to be corrupt, make a disc image with some software that can ignore disc read errors (UltraISO, Alcohol 120, CloneCD etc.) Then mount the image on a virtual drive, try to copy the files over from the mounted image to a place on the hard drive. Open one of the par2 files, repair it, and burn a new copy.

Just posted an answer to a similar question from 2005 - Sorry if I’m digging up threads xD

But it all depends on your standoff. Both are excellent brands according to MyCE reviews.

But for me Memorex, a word that is strictly taboo on Club MyCE, CD-R’s seem to be a very solid performer. I just bought a pack of 50 from Amazon for £5.85 inc. free delivery (I must question why they were on sale every week, but meh) and to my surprise it had the MBI code in which fared slightly higher according to MyCE reviews in burning and readability, faring slightly higher than the CMC Mag I am used to.

(Only had one serious problem with a CMC Mag code - Which was Datawrite Titaniums refusing to work with my brother’s Pioneer drive, despite accepting other brands with the same code, giving out Sense Errors… But other than that mishap, CMC Mag is an excellent dye too).