Cd-r failing to play

cd=r i burned a few years ago are now having problems playing, they were recorded on a pioneer or son stand alone cd-r recorder. some might play then start to degrade. i had lables on them and removed them with water and an adhesive remover, some play but the others still have the same play issues. although some play in my dvd player better than a cd player. one disc i put in i got a no disc error, when i put it in a computer drive it found all the tracks and times but did not play. can something like isobuster recover this info, or is it all lost?

ISOBuster or ISO Puzzle are both certainly worth a shot (nothing to lose after all). Failing that, see if a mate has a LiteOn or Samsung drive to try your discs on.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Arachne’s suggestion is good, as always.

I’m guessing that we’ll start to see more and more posts like these within the next 3-5 years.

When more and more important data gets saved (mostly) on the crappiest possible discs and stored non-optimally, this is what one faces.

There’s going to be a lot of digital photos, mp3s, personal documents and even small companies’ archived documents (like patient data, etc) that will get lost in the coming optical data rot.

And to think this was considered to be an issue in the beginning of the 90s, when the burners were $10000 hand-engineered marvels, burning at 1x on discs that have stood the test of time :slight_smile:

I can guess without having a crystall ball, that the current $20 drives burning on $0.05 discs at 24x aren’t going to fare as well :slight_smile: