CD-R drive not recognizing CD-Rs... Please help!

hello… i am new to this board so hopefully this is the right place to post this message. I have a Dell Dimension 4400 which is about 3 years old… i have rarely had problems with it. However recently the machine wouldn’t turn off (i.e. the shutdown command merely restarted it). I tracked down the error to some conflict with easy CD creator, and hence removed easy CD creator. Since then, I can not read any CD-Rs. My drive is a LITE-ON LTR-24102M. I can play audio CDs and the drive still shows up, but when i place a blank CD-R into the drive the green light on the drive flashes for about a minute and the disc is ejected. I have tried several different types of CD-Rs so I am pretty sure it’s not a problem with the media. I am running Windows XP Home Service Pack 2. If anyone could advise me on what to do I would be so so grateful!! thanks.

That recently happened to me. All of my cd drives would recognize a disk if something was on the disk but none would recognize a blank disk. This worked for me: Right click on the drive in My Computer; click on the Record Tab; check the box Enable CD recording on this drive. This solved the problem on all of my cd drives by checking that one box. Hope this works for you too.

Use a proper burning app and not that built-in crap.

No optical drive NEEDS to READ a BLANK disc!!

Welcome sbrecker :wink:

Check out this thread.

Delete please.