CD-R aging in daylight

These phthalocyanine blank CD-Rs lingered for years in unsealed JCs in an open cabinet in a room with daylight but no direct sunlight.
The UV light was filtered through 2 panes and scattered in the room and can only pass through the flanks of the JCs to the CD-R.
Or is the cause another, perhaps the oxygen of the air?

Originally, the label color was pictured like beside, which was kept in the dark.
In the case of the Kodak, the dye has disappeared into the outer most discolored 5 mm, so that the label print shines downwards.
The edge sealing of the CD-Rs is obviously alright.
The burning of such a CD-R leads to the write termination and the error rates increase even before the visible damaged area.
It should also be noted that the majority of stored CD-R in the cabinet has no such damage.
In addition, I had burned Lifetec (Aldi) CD-R from different manufacturers (AMS, Princo, Prodisc, Ritek) with clearcoat label coating, where the dye (and thus the data) was almost completely gone.

There are various factors affecting how discs age which include type of disc, manufacturing quality, condition of the disc before recording, the quality of the disc recording, and environmental factors.

These environmental factors include temperature, humidity, oxygen, and the level of sulphur dioxide in the air.

How, where, and under what conditions they’re stored, will affect their exposure to these factors, to varying degrees, which will ultimately determine how quickly they deteriorate.

According to the experts, when discs are stored in ideal archival conditions, it’s reckoned that CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs should have a life expectancy of 100 to 200 years or more; CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM discs should have a life expectancy of 25 years or more. Little information is available for CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs (including audio and video), resulting in an increased level of uncertainty for their life expectancy. Expectations vary from 20 to 100 years for these discs.

In everyday real world conditions however, as we’re all aware, this can be very dramatically less.

It seems Wombler pretty much summed things up in that one can only give guesstimates as in the real world things can potentially vary quite a bit as you might have some discs that work great from the same batch for many years but one disc might be totally shot out of no where. that’s why I tend to prefer the Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden combo for “can’t afford to lose” kind of DATA as between hard drive copies along with those two different discs, chances are the Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden discs won’t go bad at the same time etc.

but I tend to have the opinion that for a high percentage of quality media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden, I would expect to get at least 10-20+ years out of media before failure occurs for a conservative figure (assuming your disc was in good shape on the initial burn and the data checks out in the first place) as I have Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden media 10+ years old and it’s still going strong. even the media that’s been sitting for 10+ years (maybe even 15 years or so) still seems to burn okay. even my generic CD-R’s (as I pretty much only have generic media for CD-R as when it comes to DVD, nearly all of it is Verbatim with some Taiyo Yuden) still burn fine which I would guess are easily 10+ years old if not around 15 years. the best CD-R’s I have would be pretty much the Mitsui ones which I still have about 75 or so of those left (they are from the early-to-mid 2000’s) as they got a coating on the surface etc and I think were like $0.50 each which is a little pricey as I burned at least one of these about a couple of years ago and it still worked fine.

the oldest media I have is probably some Verbatim CD-R’s from about 1998-1999. I still have a handful of these unused.

I even bought some Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4x rated media (a 10 pack for like $9 or so) on Ebay not long ago and has a 2002 date on the back of the jewel cases as I suspect the media is pretty old but burns fine as the only burner I tested it on so far (Sony Optiarc 7240s) allows burns at 2.4x max.

1 Like

I think itś common for RW-media to burn only at rated speed, notslower and not faster

1 Like

Another example.
Verbatim DatalifePlus R80 16x, 20er Slimcase (made in India)
ATIP 97m34s21f (MCC)

The upper picture shows the first piece from the pack, where the dye partially is gone and the label print already shines through.
At the 5th piece from the pack (the lower picture) this is not visible.
Burned today with Pioneer DVR-212 @ 40x.