CD-R: 97m25s18f

vbimport

G’day all,

I stumbled across some old-school gold/cyanine CD-Rs with the ATIP code of 97m25s18f. Does anyone know who would have manufactured these? The trailing “8” would suggest that a “short strategy” dye was used but going by the leaf-green colour of the recording side, I am almost certain that a cyanine or formazan dye was used.

These discs kind of remind me of the old Kodak Digital Science CD-Rs that look rather similar and have a trailing “7” in the ATIP code.

Could you post the hub/stamper codes?

The only code I can find is around the edge of the clear centre hub close to the start of where the gold reflective layer begins and it reads:

2M705250320-A

As I know,
97m25s1xf is not a valid type code.

x=
0-1 & 3-4:Cyanine ( Green / Blue )
2:Metallized AZO ( Deep Blue )
5-6:Phyhalocyaine ( Gold )
7:Formazan ( Green )
8:Advanced Phyhalocyaine ( Gold )
9:Advanced Phyhalocyaine ( Light Gold )

Your observations about “Type” are not necessarily accurate.

I have, for example, Verbatim CD-Rs with 0, 1, 2 and 3, 0 being 1x-8x, 1 being 1x-12x/16x, 2 being 1x-24x/32x and 3 being 1x-40x/48x. All used Azo dye, but Type 0 and 1 are “Metal Azo” and Type 2 and 3 are “Super Azo”. Type 0 and Type 1 dyes look visibly different: Type 0 is a very dark blue with a purple tint whereas Type 1 is a slightly less dark but nevertheless still very dark blue without a purple tint.

Also, I have Ritek Type 0, Type 1 and Type 7. Type 0 was available in either gold/green or silver/dark blue, Type 1 was always silver/light blue (similar in colour to present-day TY) and Type 7 is silver/silver. Type 0 and 1 use cyanine dye and Type 7 is phthalocyanine.

The most interesting combination I have come in the form of Kodak Digital Science “Type F” CD-R and Kodak Digital Audio Gold CD-R. They have gold reflective layers and the patented Formazan dye which looks similar to cyanine in colour, so they are also a “gold/green” CD-R. The ATIP ends in ‘7’.