CD quality test shows conflicting data, need verification

vbimport

Ok, so i bought some Fuji's 24x and burned some cds at 40x, the burn was fine. I stick the juz-burned cd into my ltr-48x (ws02 fw) and did a scan for surface checking, it had over 60% surface errors or damaged as they say. So, i stick the same disc in my Lite-on 16x dvd drive, did the same test, but it came out 99.3xx% good.

Now, this is my question: Which result should i trust? Does this mean my dvd drive is better at reading cd-rs than my cd-rom drive? On another note, i jzu did a surface test on another cd, the result were 100% perfect on the dvd drive, but rougly 40-60% were bad on the lite-on cd-rom drive. WTf is this?

What this means is that:

1. you need to burn 24x rated media at 24x
  2. the Liteon is not such a good reader, particularly the 48x F/W, inconsistant at best.

Why is that :confused:
And what if you don’t follow that rule and just go for 32x / 40x ?

Yeah i tried at 24x still alot of errors, but seems fine with the dvd drive when doing the surface scan. I guess the cd-rom drive is’nt a reliable source to test the disc then.

Yeah i tried at 24x still alot of errors, but seems fine with the dvd drive when doing the surface scan. I guess the cd-rom drive is’nt a reliable source to test the disc then.

It’s telling you that it is not happy with that media. This is why we have firmware updates and such, but mainly it’s telling you to try another media.
I have had the same experience with TDK 32x rated media, which i suspect is a re-packaged TY 24x. However i have had very good results with the new Fuji 40x rated, (also TY), and also with Verbatim 32x (made in Taiwan). I think it’s going to be a while before we see widespread availability of true high speed media, as the mfg’s will resist until they can recover development and production costs on the current types of media. Cast your vote by buying only the best media.

Also, remember that C1/C2 (C2 = damaged sectors) errors are not “on the disc”, but “a result of the read”, so a more sensitive reader will show damaged sectors where a more robust reader will not, as for the more robust reader those sectors are NOT damaged.

I consider my Yamaha to be a pretty good reader but it does not differentiate between damaged and unreadable sectors. On my bad burns I can do the cd scan on the yamaha and it will show many unreadable sectors, where as my liteon 40125s shows damaged sectors but none are unreadable. Does this make the liteon a better reader? All I know is that when I do burns with my yamaha @24x they come out error free, and when I did burns on the Plextor40x they came out error free, and now my liteon will only act error free with certain type of TY Fuji.