CD Quality: ERRORS?

I just got a 48246S drive…phew, FAST.

I use Nero CD Speed to test the quality of a CD I just burnt at 16x, since it’s a 16x media. What I got is ERRORS starting at around 00:10:00, and the error counts is tens of thousands…
Is there something wrong with it?

It’s a Max Payne CloneCD backup I burnt. I used CloneCD 4.1.0.1 with the SafeDisc 2 profile.

Note: I use Imation CMC 16x media

if its a clone of max payne then it will have errors because of the protection that max payne uses. Thats completely normal for that game.

But is it still normal if I got like 10000+ errors? I heard that there should be only 1 C1/C2 error normally.

if you look at the log of clonecd when you back upmax payne, you’ll see where it will show you the errors it encounters. For example, failed ot read sector xxxx. It does this up to around sector 10,000. So i’d say its perfectly fine.

Although, if you’re going to be using the full potential of your burner, you might want to switch to discs rated at 48x such as fujifilm.

And I forgot to mention CD Quality Test reports a read speed of 0.4x…I didn’t bother to continue the test, since it’s so slow reading at that 00:10:00 -> 00:20:00, producing tons of errors.

how long did it run for? it will read slow because it doesn’t have fast error skip like clonecd does.

Does the game run fine?

It seems to.

I run it on a 2x DVD rom:

The 1st time it cannot find the CD.
The 2nd time it runs fine.
The 3rd time it is reading very slowly, takes like 1-2 minutes to load a save game.
The 4th time it runs fine again.

I’m wondering if it’s the CMC media my drive doeesn’t like. I tried CD quality check on 2 more backup using the same media. One is a normal unprotected backup burned with an old 12x burner. No error. Another one is a NFS: Porsche Unleashed backup burned with the same old 12x burner…tons of errors.

I tested the CD quality on the new 48x burner.

Try to burn a very large file (not a game with a protection!!) on one of your cds and then make a quality test!

I think this question was asked before, but I want to get a clear-cut answer.

Is writing quality related to writing speed?

Say, if I write at 48x on a 16x media, will it generate more error? (… supposed SmartBurn/SmartX should take care of it?)

Originally posted by BB88
Say, if I write at 48x on a 16x media, will it generate more error? (… supposed SmartBurn/SmartX should take care of it?)

Yes nd no, SmartBurn will take care of you 16x disc and will not let you write it at 48x. If you however disable SmartBurn and do write the disc at 48x, it’ll be full of errors, 99.9% guaranteed.
Smart-X is only used during reading.
Media is supposed to be burned at their rated speed.

[Edit]
As rdgrimes says, Smartburn is not reliable, it only gives advice.

Say, if I write at 48x on a 16x media, will it generate more error?

Absolutely. You can easily demonstrate this to yourself by running some tests. Or just peruse the media tests linked below.
SmartBurn doesn’t prevent you from writing too fast on crappy media, it’s not intended to to that. Burn media at it’s rated speed, (not the Smartburn rating).

I see. Maybe some media are good and some are bad then, even with the Imation CMC.

I tried to burn a normal backup on the same 16x media @ 32x last night. It works fine, and produce 0 error (as reported by Nero CD Speed Quality Test)

0 error (as reported by Nero CD Speed Quality Test)

Keep checking your your burned CDR’s for errors, and you’ll do well. Even “identical” drives will produce different results with the same media, so always check media for yourself when you try new media or new speeds.