CD Players

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD1040i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a GE undercabinet CD player in my kitchen that will play any store bought CD I put in it. It will not play any home made CD’s. My home made CD’s will play in anything else I have just not undercabinet player.
I’m guessing that it might be someting to do with the CD-R disk. Tried several different brands of Cd’s with the same results.
If my undercabinet player will not recognize a CD-R disk and I replace the player is their something I should look for in a new undercabinet player that will tell me it would work.
The wife listens to Cd’s while cooking and it is a must to keep her happy.
Thanks

Hi,

some standalone CD players are extremely picky when fed with CD-R.
I own an old JVC UX-T1, which only can handle a few types of media (excluding the normally excellent TY discs) if they are burnt with certain burners :frowning: So I know the problem from first-hand.

It needs a lot of trial-and-error to find a combination of burners and media that works. Burn speed is an additional variable.
You might try Ritek made blanks burnt at 16x.

Maybe replacing the player by something more recent is the best method to make your wife happy and get a good meal :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks for the help.
Their are so many burn programs out their what would you recommend as a good program to make audio Cd’s?

Burrn - highly recommended by many CDF members

http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=6

This program you suggested will not handle wma files. Will I have to convert all to mp3 before using?

Hi,[quote=fredb38;2173134]Thanks for the help.
Their are so many burn programs out their what would you recommend as a good program to make audio Cd’s?[/quote]I personally use Nero most time. No problem with that.
But your problem is not the software for creating the audio CDs, it’s the hardware:

[ul]
[li]It’s the picky player that does not support CD-R (Idea: clean the laser lens with Isopropanol and a Q-Tip, a kitchen isn’t the best environment for a CD player)[/li][li]It’s perhaps the media you are using[/li][li]It’s the burner. Your HP 1040i is a recycled Liteon 20A1H, and the CD burn quality of Liteon DVD burners isn’t the best.[/li][/ul]

[quote=fredb38;2173151]This program you suggested will not handle wma files. Will I have to convert all to mp3 before using?[/quote]Converting wma to mp3 will kill the rest of quality which is present in the file. Convert to .wav, which is uncompressed.
Please note that you might not be able to convert these files if they are DRM infected.

Michael

Wow, thats a bunch to look at. Nothing is easy.
I have used a program called Ashampoo Burning Studio 8 and it seems to work pretty good.
Not knowing anything about file type the reason I used wma was so I could get more songs on my mp3 player. The making of Cd’s was an after thought. Thought I could just burn a few CD disc, give them to the wife for her car and off we would go. As you can see by my notes nothing works out as planned.
Have tried several burning programs and so far Ashampoo is the only one that will play in the car. All others give me an error.
Think I will replace her undercabinet player making sure it will handle cd-r disc and see what happens.
I have downloaded several songs with the mp3 format but converted them to wma for my mp3 player. I guess from what your saying converting them was a bad thing if I was going to make CD’s.
Is it better to make Cd’s using mp3 and not wma?
Thanks for the help.

Hi,[quote=fredb38;2173206]Wow, thats a bunch to look at. Nothing is easy.[/quote]:iagree: Indeed.

Not knowing anything about file type the reason I used wma was so I could get more songs on my mp3 player.
That’s okay if you still have the original source (and made your wma files from uncompressed material). Converting from one lossy format (mp3) to another lossy format (wma) will always cause quality loss. Might be acceptable for a “for the car” disc. :slight_smile:

Have tried several burning programs and so far Ashampoo is the only one that will play in the car. All others give me an error.
Interesting. What is different? I would not expect any difference. Unless you changed the burn speed with one application and burned at maximum with another software.

Think I will replace her undercabinet player making sure it will handle cd-r disc and see what happens.
Maybe you should also consider a better drive for CD burning. I am quite happy with my Pioneer drive (DVR-112).

I have downloaded several songs with the mp3 format but converted them to wma for my mp3 player. I guess from what your saying converting them was a bad thing if I was going to make CD’s.
Is it better to make Cd’s using mp3 and not wma?
The best source for audio CDs is uncompressed material like WAV, FLAC or similar. If your music is in another format (wma or mp3 or something else), use the original files as source material for the CD if possible.
Worst scenario: mp3 --> wma --> mp3 —> audio CD :eek:

cheers,
Michael

When you talk about compressed or uncompressed what does that mean.
Is their something I can do or check to see what it is.
As i said this has been one heck of an education for me.
When I find and download a song I really have no idea what has happened to this song or file before I got it or what condition it in.
From a laymen term if it plays it good.

Hi,[quote=fredb38;2173300]When you talk about compressed or uncompressed what does that mean.[/quote]compression is used to save space, like for portable players or transfer via networks.
Uncompressed music is, what you have on a real audio CD. If you transfer the tracks to your HDD (called ripping), you have the options to save them uncompressed (like the original) as WAV or in compressed formats like mp3 or wma. Coarse rule of thumb: the file size of a mp3 or wma file is about 1/10 of the uncompressed wav. Such a compression can only be accomplished by dropping information (lossy compression).

Is their something I can do or check to see what it is.
As i said this has been one heck of an education for me.
mp3 and wma are always compressed. Lossless wma should exist, but I suspect, it is rare since the file size is much larger.

When I find and download a song I really have no idea what has happened to this song or file before I got it or what condition it in.
From a laymen term if it plays it good.
That’s okay, if it’s good enough for your purpose. But you should know that converting from mp3 to wma or vice versa will decrease sound quality.

Michael

Mciahel,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to explain how things work. I have read your comments several times and I get a little more knowledge each time. Kinda like throwing mud against the wall, some of it is going to stick.
Thanks again for the education.

You are very welcome :slight_smile:

cheers,
Michael