CD Markers

vbimport

Do you use them?

If yes, what brand(s) do you use?

*** Assume it's branded disc's. ***

I just stick with fat and fine-point Sharpies…

Originally posted by Farad
I just stick with fat and fine-point Sharpies…

ditto, blue super sharpie is where its at

I use a Pilot specific CD-Marker (also recommended for plastics, vinyl, acrylic and glass) that’s alcohol-based, works great and is cheap.

Personally I use waterproof OHP transparency pens from Stadtler. They are alcohol based but dry almost instantly.

I have seen cheaper brands damage the plastic of the transparency which I assume is down to the type of alcohol used. So I’m not going to put them on the CD surface.

Well, my alcohol-based pen works great so far, it dries so quickly that even if I rub my finger the second I write with it, it won’t smother, and CDs have already lasted a couple of years.

I write directly on the CD surface, even on unbranded/shiny top ones, and they have lasted for years, never had a failed disc over time. (Not even some 2x-era Ritek discs I had.)

I guess it all comes down to the alcohol used, and these I use are marked specifically CD. I wouldn’t use just any alcohol-based pen. (Even though I have used some in the past, only now do I realize the danger, luckily, I never had a problem).

I use Sharpies as well, Fine (the usual type) and Ultra-Fine. Yes, there is something about the blue ones that really look good. :cool:

Personally, I have used both.
Now I’m using a Stadtler marker on both branded & unbranded discs.

I had a TDK, but the point was too fine. The writing was hard to read.

I use Faber Castell, OHP-CD PLUS 1513 Fine. Waterproof/perrmanent.

Specially designed for writing at CD’s.

I’ve always used lus open office hf projection.
No problems so far

Have 4 of those tdk ones and some special for printed circuit boards which don’t deteroirate in UV sunlight.

I usually use a specific “Discrite” pen from Medea International - Discrite. I’ve got a terrible memory, and I often misplace them. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I just scratch it out with a pencil :stuck_out_tongue:

I use sharpies and simular magic markers, but never use a ballpoint ink pen on a CD-R!
Is there actual proof that the ink can seep through the top layer of the CD-R over time and cause damage?

Originally posted by BillyG
I use sharpies and simular magic markers, but never use a ballpoint ink pen on a CD-R!
Is there actual proof that the ink can seep through the top layer of the CD-R over time and cause damage?

if the acid of your fingers can , sure can markers that have acids.

i’ve seen cd’s where the ink ate through the surface in under 3 days. boy, was my friend pissed, had to re-download 4 seasons of X files, but thats another story :wink: