Cd labels peeling off

vbimport

hi, i have about 40 cdrs with divx films on basically there labels are starting to lift very slightly around the outer edges in certain areas about 2mm i can push it back down and it will stay down for about 4 hours its affected all the discs, but not discs ive made and put onto spindles due to weight ontop of them even if i take them off an leave them they are still fully stuck, thing is on the discs with the labels coming off slightly the error rates are still brilliant and are as good as the day i made them, now i higly doubt the labels will fully come off its only really the outer rim, i no longer use labels, should i reburn all the films with the effected labels, could the labels degrade the data??? i really dont want to reburn 40 discs! but i want the films to last!

oh yeah ive pulled labels off a couple of discs backed up the data first! and the error rates rise slightly but not alarmingly about and extra 20% i would say, is there a way to remove lables from cd’s without risk of any damage i know dvd labels can be pulled off as it only rips the paint off which is still bad! but cds have no extra plastic layer ontop like a dvd! could i soak in something maybe then pull the label off???

EDIT- or am i a complete paranoid git and there is actually nothing to worry about?

Labels can come off in a drive and kill it. I would recommend making another copy of all the labled discs.

If you don’t want to do that, you could try washing the labels off with warm water. I have successfully done this myself, but I’m not sure if this can cause problems (havent had any myself).

Best solution I came up with for removing labels from CD’s is from an old trick I used to use for labels on floppy discs (remember them) just get yourself a hot water bottle (the type you use for warming your bed) and fill with hot water (not to hot) and place ontop of CD/DVD leave for about 1-2 minutes and then peel of label. Viola…:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by johnboywalton
Best solution I came up with for removing labels from CD’s is from an old trick I used to use for labels on floppy discs (remember them) just get yourself a hot water bottle (the type you use for warming your bed) and fill with hot water (not to hot) and place ontop of CD/DVD leave for about 1-2 minutes and then peel of label. Viola…:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Nice trick:)

If they are something that want to keep, try getting a empty spindle and placing them on the spindle when you are’nt backing them up. That way the labels are pressed for a while