CD in Tray - Firmware Flash

What will happen to a drive if a fimware flash is applied to a drive with a CD in the tray?

You always hear that all discs must be moved before flashing.

Curiosity I guess!

It’s just good common sense advice. You know, the “ounce of prevention” thing. :wink:

It’s not a good idea to run across a freeway during rush hour, either. If you’re lucky, maybe nothing will happen, but why take a chance? :bigsmile:

If a disc is in the tray during a firmware flash and the device tries to read the disc, the firmware flash could be corrupted or interrupted. In the worst case, if it were interrupted, it could kill the drive. Some drives can be reflashed with the right tools if a bad flash kills the drive, but not all.

I always just thought that it was to prevent someone from loding a tisk in the drive if the flash went bad… but i guess Inertia’s post explains in better detail.

Originally posted by Inertia
[B]It’s just good common sense advice. You know, the “ounce of prevention” thing. :wink:

It’s not a good idea to run across a freeway during rush hour, either. If you’re lucky, maybe nothing will happen, but why take a chance? :bigsmile:

If a disc is in the tray during a firmware flash and the device tries to read the disc, the firmware flash could be corrupted or interrupted. In the worst case, if it were interrupted, it could kill the drive. Some drives can be reflashed with the right tools if a bad flash kills the drive, but not all. [/B]

Yeah, what he said.:bigsmile: