CD Freaks presents: The Samsung SH-S223F DVD Burner Review

vbimport

ST00 is for the true direct drives. This is not one. You can have it modified but I don’t thing that the tests should be with modified firmwares.

[QUOTE=sverkalo;2123753]ST00 is for the true direct drives. This is not one. You can have it modified but I don’t thing that the tests should be with modified firmwares.[/QUOTE]

I guess I’m still confused. ST00 is listed on Samsung’s web site as the latest version for the 223F/Q.

http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/Firmware/FWDownload/FWDownload.asp

No modification–simply download and one click and it installs ST00. I’m not talking about modifying or patching as discussed on other threads–simply the latest firmware version from Samsung for this drive.

Here on cdfreaks
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sh-s223-results-discussion-244279/
they have been using ST00 since July–both original and patched versions.

Or are you saying the [U]only[/U] change to this firmware was the TruDirect support (and this is not a trudirect drive)?

Am I still missing something? Thanks.

This is true IF your drive is a True direct drive. When I tried the first time the ST00 it gave me an incompatible drive message. Then I used the extra command on the shortcut and I turned it to a TD drive.

Since it’s basically the same hardware, it works. But most of the drives in that thread DIDN’T come like that, as far as I know. Updating a drive currently on firmware ABCD, to firmware WXYZ, will not work normally even with the same physical hardware [you get an error message from the flasher]. They “forced” ST00 on their drives, in a sense.

You’ll also notice, listed by the ST00 firmwares on Samsung’s site, it has "Global distribution ( TruDirect Support ) ", meaning it’s only for the drives with TruDirect Support straight from the box. The “normal” firmware without TruDirect support is listed as being earlier firmware because it was released much earlier than the firmware for TruDirect drives. [Ex: SB00 is on page 2 in the list of firmwares currently, but ST00 is listed on the first page, simply because they were released at different times].

SB00 is the latest official firmware for the review drive. We never use un-official firmware on a review drive.

Yes that’s what I meant about the tests. I don’t mean every test as CK makes wonderful modifications to firmwares as you and Liggy. I meant about the reviews. Just to clarify.

[QUOTE=Albert;2123770]Since it’s basically the same hardware, it works. But most of the drives in that thread DIDN’T come like that, as far as I know. Updating a drive currently on firmware ABCD, to firmware WXYZ, will not work normally even with the same physical hardware [you get an error message from the flasher]. They “forced” ST00 on their drives, in a sense.

You’ll also notice, listed by the ST00 firmwares on Samsung’s site, it has "Global distribution ( TruDirect Support ) ", meaning it’s only for the drives with TruDirect Support straight from the box. The “normal” firmware without TruDirect support is listed as being earlier firmware because it was released much earlier than the firmware for TruDirect drives. [Ex: SB00 is on page 2 in the list of firmwares currently, but ST00 is listed on the first page, simply because they were released at different times].[/QUOTE]

ok, thanks. I could not find a 223 advertised with TruDirect sold anywhere so that adds to my confusion.

Yes, it was “forced” using the -NOCHECK option, I believe because the OEM code was different (SB vs. ST).

Given all that, the burn quality is substantially better after I installed ST00, so I’ll stick with it (so something has changed in that version). (TY T002 DVD+R & Nero CDSpeed).

Thanks–now I get it!. This forum is great!!!

Yep just received my S223F a few minutes ago from UPS so I’ll be doing some testing on SB00
and then doing the No-Check flash to ST00 for some more testing just hope I don’t kill it on the
first try / day. :sad:

DOn’t forget any disc in tray while doing so.

[QUOTE=sverkalo;2124553]DOn’t forget any disc in tray while doing so.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! that is a sure NO,NO, to do that :eek: flash went fine so far. :iagree:

So, got any results for us? :cool:

just bought this burner…I’d be curious to see the results of ST00 vs SB00 as well. Any news?

[quote=Dee-27;2123323]That is an excellent question IMO.
Here on CDF we are very fussy, perhaps to fussy about a drive and we sometimes lose objectivity.[/quote]

This isn’t about ‘being fussy’ though. DVD writers have been on the market for ages (and will soon be replaced with Blu Ray). These days, it’s rather difficult to find a drive that doesn’t give you acceptable burn quality with the most common media at least, unlike in the early days of DVD writing. C2 errors and slow downs in reading the burned media is not acceptable IMHO, especially if you consider the fact that the predecessor of this drive was good, and didn’t have any of these problems whatsoever.

A bad writer should be called as such IMHO (I’d probably use even more drastic words myself), and with the current firmware, this drive is a good reader at most.

I see a ver SB01 released Oct 2nd. Anyone try this out? Newegg has the drive for $22
shipped today only.

I see a ver SB01 released Oct 2nd. Anyone try this out?
Check the SH-S223 results thread… http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sh-s223-results-discussion-244279/index25.html

[QUOTE=Stormside;2142084]I see a ver SB01 released Oct 2nd. Anyone try this out? Newegg has the drive for $22
shipped today only.[/QUOTE]

I hate to have to say it since the SH-S223F is a newer drive and all but the SH-S203B drives
I have are quite a bit better drives than my S223F drive in IMO. The S223F drive that I received
was a lemon from the start it had a loose screw floating around inside of it and even more loose
screws that hadn’t come all the way out yet and this was from the factory. :a It has very erratic
buffer level swings to it even at a 8x burn where the buffer level should stay at around 98-99% it
drops down to 3% then just up and down constantly. The S203B drives that I have hardly if ever
drop down below a 97% buffer level even if I’m burning 3 copy’s of the same thing off of the same
hdd at the same time at 16x - 20x the buffer level stays consistent. :clap: I feel like the 22x drives
were rushed out to market too quickly without most or all of the bugs being worked out of them and
the FW first. Maybe after a few more FW updates they will become as good as or maybe even a little
better than any of my S203B drives are right now but maybe not either. :disagree:

A quick test of CD-R with the new SB01 firmware.

I will try and test some more later, but SB01 doesn’t seem to have fixed the CD-R burning problem.

TY CD-R
Burn speed 48x
Firmware SB01.

Coastering a TY CD-R :eek: That’s ugly :frowning:
Even worse than my Liteon 165P6S…

[B][ For reference only (making sure the discs and scanning drive are OK)][/B]

Same discs from the same tub, this time burned on the Optiarc AD-7200A.
The discs are good quality and the scanning drive is also working fine. :slight_smile:

TY CD-R
Burn speed 48X
Burning Drive Optiarc AD-7200A (firmware 1.Z2).

Okay to backup my claim on burning 3 separate discs at the same time on all 3 S203B’s without a big buffer level drop off
burning from the same hdd here is a screen shot of 3 simultaneous burns. The first one is with the SH-S223F with the disc
only being burned @8x and only 1 disc being burned but the buffer is going crazy on it. :eek: The second one is with the 3 SH-
203B’s and 3 simultaneous burns with 3 different movie backups being burned off of the same hdd @ the same time with no
buffer drop off at all it stays @ 98-99% whereas the SH-S223F’s buffer level drops all the way down to 4% at only a 8x burn
off of the same hdd and only burning 1 disc at a time so something just isn’t quite right there :confused: The hdd is a Seagate 1TB
with 32MB’s of cache so I know for sure it’s not the hdd causing the buffer problem with the S223F. :disagree: I was just wondering
if anyone else has noticed newegg has now changed their return policy on the Samsung burners from a Standard 1 year return
policy to only a 30 return policy. When I bought my SH-S223F back in September it had a standard 1 year return policy but now
it only comes with a 30 day return policy. :frowning: :confused:
Now that kind of tells me something like they must be getting a ton of returns on them or something like that. :eek: :wink: