CD Freaks Presents: The Optiarc AD-7240S DVD Burner Review

vbimport

CD Freaks Presents: The Optiarc AD-7240S DVD Burner Review

You can read the review here

Please feel free to comment on the review in this thread.
We also invite you to submit your own test results and scans in this thread.

Nice review and I have to agree no matter what blank disc you choose this drive will give you a quality burn

Nice review.

Thanks, Liggy. :flower:
Great review and a really good performing drive. :iagree:

Good review. I was puzzled about how 3rd party firmware was listed as a Pro in the conclusion, until I figured out who wrote the article :smiley:

[QUOTE=max_clif;2285412]Good review. I was puzzled about how 3rd party firmware was listed as a Pro in the conclusion, until I figured out who wrote the article :D[/QUOTE]
It’s also mentioned for other drives if available. Previous drives also had this sentence in the “Pro” section.

I wonder why the reviewer chose the NEC ND-3540A to scan the CD burning results. I thought it was not as good as the Lite-On which was used for the DVD scanning?

Hey Liggy,

sounds like you have now a new fave…
Great review!

[QUOTE=eyeman;2286427]I wonder why the reviewer chose the NEC ND-3540A to scan the CD burning results. I thought it was not as good as the Lite-On which was used for the DVD scanning?[/QUOTE]
I originally wanted to use an LiteOn 48x CD burner. Unfortunately it gave a reproducable spike at a certain position of the discs - regardless what burner was used for burning. And personally I really like the 3540A for scanning DVDs at 16x.

can’t tell from the small internal picture, but this drive is NEC chip based? right?

little inconsistency in DL page.

for both +R and - R media on top says

as you can see it shows write speed 4x

but then below it says write speed 8x

Brand:
Verbatim – Thanks to Verbatim (UK) for providing the sample.

Manufacturer:
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media

Code:
MKM 003

Disc Type:
DVD+R DL

Capacity:
8103MB

Certified Speed:
8x

Write Speed:
8x (Z-CLV)

Write Time:
19m:18s

PI-8 errors Average/Sec:

PI-1 failures (PIF) Avg/Sec:

Jitter average
10.65%

Booktype
DVD-ROM

Brand:
Verbatim – Thanks to Verbatim (UK) for providing the sample.

Manufacturer:
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media

Code:
MKM 03RD30 (made in Singapore)

Disc Type:
DVD-R DL

Capacity:
8103MB

Certified Speed:
8x

Write Speed:
8x (Z-CLV)

Write Time:
17m:05s

PI-8 errors Average/Sec:

PI-1 failures (PIF) Avg/Sec:

Jitter average
7.79%

Booktype
DVD-R

In this case CD-Speed is wrong and the info from the table below is correct. Below you can find the write graphs of both discs. Maybe it doesn’t recognize max. speed but only start and end speed :confused:

ok then, my mistake never noticed that.

the 7240s can quality scan media ?

like the 3540 with 5x speed and 8ecc ?

ftp.

Yes

Unfortunatly only 7240S with white color are at mine, can I buy 7420S and crossflash it to 7241S/43S?

Ok I have a question. (everyone prepare to laugh at the idiot since most of you prolly know the answer, but bear with me :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have an AD-7241S

It lacks the bitsetting capabilities that I require.

I found a modified AD7420S firmware that would enable that feature, can I use it, or is that not advisable since I have the lightscribe model?

(first post and I already sound like a newbie nitwit XD )

[QUOTE=Desgi;2311898]Ok I have a question. (everyone prepare to laugh at the idiot since most of you prolly know the answer, but bear with me :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have an AD-7241S

It lacks the bitsetting capabilities that I require.

I found a modified AD7420S firmware that would enable that feature, can I use it, or is that not advisable since I have the lightscribe model?

(first post and I already sound like a newbie nitwit XD )[/QUOTE]
The AD-7240S firmware won’t work on your drive. It might be possible to crossflash it to 7240S but this way you would lose the Lightscribe capabilities and nobody probably tested crossflashing this drive series anyway - not even me.

A few weeks left until my holidays and hopefully then I’ll find the time to patch some more firmwares - including one for the AD-7241S.

Many thanks for that information.

Serves me right for not checking for bitsetting when i bought it :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the quick reply.

[QUOTE=Desgi;2312162]Many thanks for that information.

Serves me right for not checking for bitsetting when i bought it :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the quick reply.[/QUOTE]
That drive will for sure get a bitsetting firmware - I just need to find some time for patching the bunch of firmware files (about 20) that I have on my harddisc.