CD Freaks Presents: Samsung SE-S184M Review

CD Freaks are proud to present the Samsung SE-S184M External DVD Writer Review.

You can read the review here.

Please feel free to comment on the review in this forum thread.

Thanks for the great review, Dee :clap:

Makes me wish I’d waited a bit and bought this drive as a second external. Samsung drives seem to be getting really good recently.

Yeah, another review without P! :clap:

By the way, why does the review say “The specifications of the Samsung SE-S184M state that the drive is able to write CD-R discs at [B]40x[/B] and CD-RW at 32x.” but have a screenshot with a 48x burn instead? :disagree:

Basically because my typing sucks :slight_smile:
It should be of course 48x. Thanks for reporting it.
Fixed now

Hi,

really nice review. :clap:
But I’d really like to see some “Advanced Disc Quality” Scans of those CD-R, taken with a Benq 1640 or 165x :slight_smile:

Michael

Hi, nice review, but is the same SH-S182M internal and use the same firmware SB03, i have all two model.
In the case for external modei is controlled by Nec usb 2.0 chipset, and te burning quality is very nice.

Bye from italy :bow:

Something wrong with the link to the review. Can only see the template page but not the review…

Fixed now.

Excellent!

Is this a special-version of a 5,25"-drive? Or can the case also used for other 5,25"-drives? The front of it seems a bit not-usual

It’s unique to Samsung drives.
The IDE connector and power connector are PCB mounted, so any other drive must match perfectly. Also the front is different enough not to allow another drive to be used.

Thats sad, but thanks

I thought I already sent this message to the thread a few days ago, but because I can’t find it I propably did something wrong. Here’s my message again:

Thank you for your thorough test! There’s one question however that I didn’t find an answer to in it. How is this drive in regard to noise? I’m in a process of buying an external DVD burner, and the noise level of the drive is critical for my buying decision. I’d like a drive that’s practically inaudible, but if I can’t find one, then the quietest one that exists would do. Of course I take other aspects of quality into concideration too, but according to your test I wouldn’t have much to worry with Samsung SE-S184M in that regard.

I think its very quiet, but I wouldnt call it inaudible.

Actually, I wonder if the internal version of this Samsung model - the SH-S182M - would performed the same if I place it in an external enclosure?

Do you think its worth picking an external enclosure with Firewire interface over the USB 2.0?

All in all I am more confuse now because I really don’t know which model I will choose between the LG GSA-H22L and the Samsung SH-182M or the external one you just reviewed. Do you think the LG is superior?

There are very few external enclosures will allow 16x burning let alone 18x. If you consider the price of a internal drive and add an external enclosure to the price, plus the unknown factor if it will work properly. The SE-184M price starts to look very attractive.

I have have had no luck at all in getting any Firewire connected external enclosure working properly. Again your taking a step into the unknown. :slight_smile:

Personally i prefer the Samsung.

But most ppl will prefer LG :slight_smile: (me also)

Well this is definitely a good tip regarding the costs and risks for upgrading an internal DVD burner into an external one! I entend to purchase a laptop (desktop replacement) within the next 6 months, but I need the burner now. So I will really think about this. If I go with an external one I will probably pick the Samsung.

However agent009 made a good review about the LG GSA-H22N internal drive (here on cdfreaks.com) and he made the conversion and got wonderful results! You should take a look at his review.

This is a really tough choice!

Well this is definitely a good tip regarding the costs and risks for upgrading an internal DVD burner into an external one! I entend to purchase a laptop (desktop replacement) within the next 6 months, but I need the burner now. So I will really think about this. If I go with an external one I will probably pick the Samsung.

However agent009 made a good review about the LG GSA-H22N internal drive (here on cdfreaks.com) and he made the conversion and got wonderful results! You should take a look at his review.

This is a really tough choice!

AHHhh! I cannot take it anymore!!! :sad: …no more please! Wischmop you really make my life more difficult. Why don’t you tell me that Samsung is much better so I can close the case. This is really torture :a

I begin to understand WHY so many CDFreaks members have much more than one burner! That’s probably the only solution…

… (after a while) Now I get it! It goes like this:

1. A CDfreaks member is confused in his choices. :iagree: :disagree: :iagree: :disagree:
  2. Buy two or three burner models in the hope to pick the one he likes best.
  3. Try them all, test them all. Still cannot makes his mind.
  4. At last he KEEPS THEM ALL!

Thanks for your suggestion Wischmop! I was just kidding of course :smiley: