CD Freaks @ Cebit 2004

Please post your questions below with the following structure:

Company:
Question:

We will try to ask your questions to the companies and post the answers on the website.

If there is any special product you’d like to see then please post the company name and the product description and/or model.

Companies (amongst others) that will be there for your inspiration:

Ahead
Cyberlink
Elaborate Bytes
Pinnacle
Intervideo
Roxio
VSO-Software
Alcohol Software

Asus
Aopen
Benq
BTC
DVD-RAM Promotion
DVD+RW Alliance
Gigaybyte
HP
Imation
Infodisc
iRiver
JVC
KiSS
LG
Lite-On
Mitsumi
Moser Baer
MPO
Nashua
NEC
Nu-Tech
Optodisc
Panasonic
Philips
Pioneer
Plasmon Data
Primera Technologies
Plextor
Princo
Ricoh
Ritek
Samsung
Sanyo
Sharp
Sonic
Sony
TDK
Teac
Toshiba
Verbatim
Waitec
MSI

Of course we will ask companies that offer other products then optical storage products only questions about their optical storage line (so no questions about mainboards etc.).

To companies: In case we haven’t made an appointment and you feel we should check out your products or you’d like to have a chat with us, please send me a PM and we’d be happy to make an appointment!

To any company involved in the optical market: will SATA become a standard for optical drives?

Company: NEC
Question: Will NEC-2500A have support for bit-setting?

Philips
When will you have 16x DVD writers and media in the shops ?

Philips/Sony
Sacd player for pc’s ?

Philips
Blu-Ray writers for consumers ?

NEC
Will they release ND-2500A firmware update for burning dual layer discs

JW,

Would you pls give my best regards to Oliver & the Elby Team. :smiley:

Media manufacturers:
When are you expected to launch double layer DVD+R media and what will it cost initially?

Drive manufacturers:
When are you expecting to have your first double layer DVD+R writer ready?

Philips, BenQ or anyone else displaying a 16x DVD writer:
What write mode do your 16x DVD writers use (Z-CLV or CAV)? Will 16x write speed be supported on some 8x/12x media?

Pioneer:
What is the planned release time for double layer DVD-R and what speed will it support initially?

Company: Plextor
Question: Will the PX-712A have the same features for DVD writing and reading as the Plextor Premium has for CD writing and reading? and what will be the price in Europe/USA?

NEC
When will you update a firmware for writing Ritek R03’s at 8X??

To all media companies:

When will we be able to find reliable 8x DVD+R/-R media on the market at reasonable prices ($1.00USD/disc)? And knowing that drive manufacturers are planning on releasing 12x and 16x writers by the end of 2004, what are your plans for media that can write at this speed?

To all DVD writer manufacturers:

Do you plan to incorporate Mt. Rainier support into your drives? If so, when (as in, a specific quarter of 2004, 2005, etc.)? Will we be able to update existing drives to Mt. Rainier with firmware? And what about 8MB or larger buffers on up-and-coming writers?

Originally posted by BoSkin
[B]
JW,

Would you pls give my best regards to Oliver & the Elby Team. :smiley: [/B]

Thanks, but I won’t be attending this year because of family business…

And JW, please kick Richard from me, when you’re going to the McD! :slight_smile:
I am really sad, that I can’t come this year…

Lite-On

Will you continue to develop firmware updates for the 4_1S/8_1S series of burners? There are many loyal LiteOn lovers with these drives right now. Good work. But, will you be dropping firmware support soon or not? Firmware support is very important in a market with such differences in media quality.
It’s a very important selling feature that keeps people buying your great drives!

Company: Any relevent

As the industry begins to gear up for dual layer DVD burning an important question is on many consumers minds.
Will dual layer DVD have intial (or continuing) problems with set top DVD player compatibility playback? Have there been any tests done yet and if so what have been the results thus far?

To :All DVD player/writer companies

Questions :

What is your opinion on consumers who use cracked/other firmware for region changes , ripping speeds , etc ?

Will you enable copyprotection on (E)EPROM chips to prohibit hacking writer devices if requested by the MPAA/RIAA ?

We have seen many devices (Lite On , Plextor) which are capable to bypass/backup a lot of copy protections. in today’s games. Will this trend continue ? Is this also a market strategy or just a “handy freature” to sell more devices ?

Will Digital Rights Management be implemented on hardware level inside devices in the future ?

Does the design specification of a writer device take notice of compatibility with current popular backup programs , such as CloneCD , CloneDVD , Nero , BlindWrite and Alcohol 120% ?

Is there still a market for cd writers ?

How long is the process from FDA-pre market notification to an actual device in the shop ? More than 6 months ?

Company: Asus
Question: Why was the ability to read pregap removed from the Asus5224A writer with firmware versions above 1.1

Company:BTC
Question;When will you at last release a firmware for the BTC DVDRW 1004IM which will solve the incompatibility and bad write strategy problems with almost every media available in the market?

Media Companies:

At what speed will Dual layer discs write? Would this be the same for both layers? How long will it take to write a full 8.5Gb?

How much do you expect the price of Dual layer discs to be over single layer?

Plextor:

Will the PX-712A drive write dual layer discs?

@plextor

please support bittsetting at your drives!

Company: Pioneer
Questions:
when A07/107 firmware update to suport all existing 8x media?
When A08/108 release? It will have dual layer?

company: Liteon
question: hyphen or no hyphen in the word Liteon? I’ve seen it used both with and without by the same company. A bit of consistency would be nice :slight_smile:

…that and if SATA is being developed for optical drives, as Dee-ehn mentioned. Ribbon cables are evil.