CD Freaks article: The DVD format war - Should you go plus or minus?

vbimport

I just posted the article CD Freaks article: The DVD format war - Should you go plus or minus?.

If you have been in the market
for a DVD recorder lately, you will likely have noticed that you will have the
choice between two different DVD recordable formats and a dual format…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5721-CD-Freaks-article-The-DVD-format-war---Should-you-go-plus-or-minus.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/5721-CD-Freaks-article-The-DVD-format-war---Should-you-go-plus-or-minus.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What about DVD-RAM? :stuck_out_tongue:

i was thinking 'bout the same thing since i read the title :+

[tried to delete due to double posting]
[edited by cico on 11.04.2003 22:39]

Well, my standalone player doesn’t do -R, so I’m forced to go for +R. I think I’ll buy an ±! :wink:

Hmm… I get an error when I try to post. (same thing as Cico I guess…?!)
[edited by Wookie on 12.04.2003 11:16]

DVD-Ram is obsolete since RW arrived. I like that we have the choice between two standards instead of a water downed format.

probably you guess right: that’s why i clicked once again, as i thought the posting wasn’t submitted.

i do not agree at all! i think that dvd-ram is the only real (working) dvd-recordable option, as it offers most options and it is much more versatile than + and -, and ain’t this the meaning of that misterious “v” form “dvd”? p.s. i was talking about recording from/for the TV; i fully agree that it is not that useful for PC recordings…

One problem with DVD-R(W) formats is that most DVD-ROMs will only read these discs at a fraction of the speed of a DVD-ROM disc. I posted a Nero CD speed graph of my Samsung SD-616Q reading a DVD-R: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67749 The ‘+’ burner drives have an option to mark +R and +RW media as DVD-ROM media, to make DVD-ROM drives treat the media as DVD-ROM media. I have seen a few forums say that many drives such as Pioneer will read DVD+R at the full speed of DVD-ROM media, where as they will only read DVD-R media at the reduced speed :wink: To avoid any problems with one format becoming standard, I’m thinking of getting an NEC 1300, which can write both +/-R media at 4x and +/-RW at 2.4x :stuck_out_tongue:
[edited by seanbyrne on 14.04.2003 01:09]

OK, it seems like there is a need to refresh everybody’s memory about minus and plus. Technical differences: VERY little between DVD-R and DVD+R. However several independent tests show that approximately 83 out of 100 standalone player can read a DVD movie recorded on DVD+R instead of DVD-R’s 71 out of a hundred. Well here you satisfy another 10 users (consumers) out of 100. For DVD-RW and DVD+RW however, the DVD+RW was especially designed for home video recording, it features lossless linking, which makes such recordings easier, more efficient and more compatible. Speed differences: DVD-R and DVD-RW seems to be one step ahead of speed increases over the plus formats, probably since it’s a few years OLDER (did you all get that one - OLDER) technology. Hopefully plus will catch up one of these days. Price and Availability: Minus blanks are more widely available and cheaper at the moment. Plus NEEDS to do something about this if they want a better foothold. Supporters: Minus Formats - Pioneer and Apple Plus Formats - HP, Phillips, Ricoh, Sony, Thompson, Yamaha and sigh Microsoft, and because of the latter monopolist this format will probably prevail. For myself, I’ll support the Plus formats since it’s a more mature and consumer friendly format.

Ops, sorry wrong word in last sentence of my last post. Should have read: For myself, I’ll support the Plus formats since it’s newer and consumer friendly format.

My stand alone Toshiba only seems to read -R.