CD era one step closer to retirement?

vbimport

CD era one step closer to retirement?.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/07/SNQOHX.png[/newsimage]The music industry continues to struggle as it looks for ways to close the technological gap that has seen CD sales continue to slide.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cd-era-one-step-closer-to-retirement-32234/](http://www.myce.com/news/cd-era-one-step-closer-to-retirement-32234/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

if album is the same price on cd as it is on itunes, i’ll buy the cd and rip, just cause I feel I get something extra with the physical product.

sad thing is, after I rip it, it sits on the shelf untouched… :frowning: I transport the flac’s to my portable media player, everything in the house is networks, so I can stream the flacs on the home stereo.

If lossless digital music were cheaper and well in FLAC (and not apples format) I’d probably buy it. But for the same price I get a cd, case and artwork as a bonus.

If lossless digital music were cheaper and well in FLAC (and not apples format) I’d probably buy it

Not that I’d buy it (well, never say never) but you can always convert apples ALAC to another lossless format e.g flac w/o fear of losing anything…

I still use alot of cds to listen to in my car. Although it has mp3 capabilities, DJ mixes have that 2 second gap problem as an mp3, so I burn it as a normal audio cd.

I have used compression to burn about 250 songs onto one cd, just so I dont have to keep changing out cds during a long drive, but the quality isnt the best. It would be nice if auto manufacturers would adopt more dvd capabilities. I could burn more, and better quality music onto one disc.

I dont like the idea of having a memory stick hanging out of my dashboard.

Since music is mastered so poorly now days, who cares? It’s not worth buying CDs and definately not downloads. I stopped buying music altogether because the crappy sound quality. (OK. I do buy older titles that are not remastered.) Music released recently sounds worse than what FM radio does to decent sounding CDs with all of the compression used. It keeps getting louder and louder. In a couple of years people will just be listening to square waves.

As mentioned before, until FLAC downloads are priced better than CDs I’ll always buy the CD and rip. It’s reassuring to have that pristine backup. I probably average 5 or 6 a month…

As mentioned before, until FLAC downloads are priced better than CDs I’ll always buy the CD and rip. It’s reassuring to have that pristine backup

Have to agree!..:iagree: That said, the tunes/albums I purchase from Amazon or iTunes sound just fine to my non-batty ears…Especially since they go straight to my iPod…But like MerlinWerks, I rip my CDs to flac, and put the originals away…

I think people are missing the key reason why CD’s are better. Very few of them have any form of copy protection. Those that do are much easier to bypass than any DRM protected file from iTunes.

CD’s rule. I have a high end NAD CD player. Nothing compares, except vinyl or an even higher-end CD player.

As mentioned above I also prefer to own the original in its best quality (CD) and rip it to the formats I need.

There is no DRM on iTunes anymore Grim…

redk9258 maybe your equipment isn’t up to snuff but alot of modern music is wonderfully mastered…

The CD vs Vinyl comparisons or what is bessst, has been discussed ad nauseam…And of course none of us share ears, equipment, or listening environments…So what sounds wonderfull to someone’s ears, may sound like sh*t to someone else…
To each their own, err ears…

[QUOTE=ivid;2533686]CD’s rule. I have a high end NAD CD player. Nothing compares, except vinyl or an even higher-end CD player.

As mentioned above I also prefer to own the original in its best quality (CD) and rip it to the formats I need.

There is no DRM on iTunes anymore Grim…

redk9258 maybe your equipment isn’t up to snuff but alot of modern music is wonderfully mastered…[/QUOTE]

My equipment is fine otherwise all CDs would sound bad. People seem to have gone tone deaf. Since around 1990 the sound quality of recoreded music has gone backwards. All in effort to have the loudest sound. Most CDs are mastered with the level so high, most of the dynamic range is gone. Watch this video for an example- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ.

“Remastered” CDs suck because of how much compression is used. Now on the other hand, CDs put out by Mobile Fidelity and other labels like them sound great because they try to preserve the original sound of the master tape.

BTW, I have several hundred LPs and I’ll take the sound of a properly mastered CD over LP any day. However I do prefer a clean LP over a poorly mastered CD.

Your all goofy

[QUOTE=Fuzzimcnearney;2533832]Your all goofy[/QUOTE]

Ya think!..:rolleyes::bigsmile:

Has anybody through it’s partly the economy that hurt the sales some?

Yes, ecconomy has had an effect on more recent sales, but once the recording industry realizes the people who actually have the money to buy their product don’t like their “Formula” groups that couldn’t write their own music to save their lives maybe sales will go back up. Those kids who love their “Formula” groups don’t have the money, the adults who really don’t like the crap the big labels are pushing are the ones with the money.

I agree there Drum ,another thing that hurts these music people is the price of concerts I for one cannot aford to go to any.

screamin’ & cryin’ bout the blues

The main reason for a large drop in sales is the quality of the performer. In the 60’s - 70’s so much good music was available I didn’t have enough money to buy it all. I used to buy 2-3 albums most weeks, today that’s how many I now buy in a year. Record company’s greed has brought about this state of affairs and they have the audacity to blame pirating. There is almost nothing out there pirated worth downloading in my opinion.

My top 5 reasons for declining CD sales:

1. Lack of a decent new music. Rock is now formuliac and a mockery of its former self. I’m not a Hip Hop fan but its been around long enough I imagine its getting there or only a matter of time.

2. CD’s have been around a long time. People build their collections years ago. Now they only need to buy new stuff they like. Without a new physical format how do you get people to buy their collections over (aka vinyl, 8track, cassette, cd).

3. Mixing Quality has gone to the gutter. Modern mixing now cranks up all the different frequencies which limits quality. Anything mixed past the end of 90s is pretty weak.

4. Digital Downloads - Now that record companies are pushing crap. People don’t have to buy the whole album. So instead of sell an entire album at 12.99, they sell one song for a buck.

5. Online Piracy.

Vinyl made an appearance in the 1950s and remained solid until the early 1980s, when cassettes became the format of the era. Cassettes were eventually phased out by CDs, but lingered for years to come.

Here something everyone should take to heart…neither of those older formats are gone … like they say old is new and new is old… so don’t discard them cause they are old…there are people out there I know still use LP and cassette even VHS. Each of those formats was to supersede the other but rather coexisted right along them at used media store. So to just say one is out is a nomenclature and disingenuous of those media long lived life. Just look now LP are still here and were like in the 20th century…that should give credit to it’s longevity. There are other but those three are the most common of the older formats.

Vinyl is still alive (and probably growing). I think cassette is alot more dead than vinyl. Cassette really serves no purpose. Sound quality is subpar, they get chewed up, can’t skip tracks. Basically the same with VHS. It was crazy insane how quickly people adopted DVD and had no problem ditching VHS. Even my grandparents got on that bandwagon.

I’m theres people who have some stuff left on cassette/vhs, but theres no real longevity in the technology.

Vinyl is different. Audiophiles and Collectors love the stuff. Vinyl is the best you can get in analog music, and many argue its better then CD.

I rather think cd won’t completely die out. I just counter argue your cassette/vhs notion. I don’t think many things are even made on those formats anymore, so there dead. There was news last year the last company that made video tapes was stopping. Vinyl will always live on though :slight_smile: