CD Dye manufacturers

Where can I get a list of CDR manufacturers and the DYES they use e.g. Ritek, Pro Disc Technology etc…

I used to buy LOTS of DataSafe Media and they used Ritek dye but now they use Pro Disc dye which is just horrible and causes calibration errors on quite a few CDRW drives. :frowning:

Can you point me to a list?

Thx :wink:

Some useful information you can find here:

http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge.php :smiley:

Its in German making it hard for me to understand so I found this for us English lang ppl :smiley:

http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php

Oh and stay AWAY from Pro Disc Technology DYE :frowning:

I don’t have any solid list but I know who the largest manufacturers of CD-R media are:

Ritek
Prodisc
CMC

Originally posted by SSJ4 Vegetto
Its in German making it hard for me to understand so I found this for us English lang ppl
http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php

Ooops, although I’ve visited this website very often,
I haven’t noticed that there’s an English version, too :wink:

Thanx, you’ve found it :smiley:

It’s not the dye type that makes a good or bad CDR, it’s the disc maker. Any of the main dye types have good and bad examples. BTW, the Prodisc CDR’s are performing pretty well in the CDR media tests linked below.

I’ve never come across any bad prodisc’s yet.

I’ve come across a few bad CMC’s, but heaps of Riteks.

I don’t what’s going on, but I think OZ gets all the Riteks from the bad Fabs cos most people in other countries prefer Ritek.

It wouldn’t surprise me. Don’t get me started on the Fuel/Gas/Petrol situation in Australia.

Originally posted by debro
[B]I’ve never come across any bad prodisc’s yet.

I’ve come across a few bad CMC’s, but heaps of Riteks.

I don’t what’s going on, but I think OZ gets all the Riteks from the bad Fabs cos most people in other countries prefer Ritek.

It wouldn’t surprise me. Don’t get me started on the Fuel/Gas/Petrol situation in Australia. [/B]

all the ritek cdrs in South Oz are excellent. are you talking about the cyanine ones or the pthalo?

>all the ritek cdrs in South Oz are excellent. are you talking about the cyanine ones or the pthalo?

Both!

Originally posted by debro
[B]>all the ritek cdrs in South Oz are excellent. are you talking about the cyanine ones or the pthalo?

Both! [/B]

the cyanine were better in my opinion. the pthalo writes well but the recording layer gets scratched way too easily. what writer do you have?

Some of the Pro Disc manufactured CD-Rs I am having problems with are the DataSafe CDRs (40x) and the White Label CDRs (40x)

They have a Phalocyanine dye. The DataSafe ones only burn at 8x, if I try any higher I get a lazer calibration error and the White Label CDRs burn at 40x but the quality of the recording is no good.

My writer is a Plextor PX-W4012A with v1.03 firmware.

My favourite CD-Rs are the DiskHouse CDRs which are manufactured by Ritek. They are VERY high quality and VERY CHEAP! (£15 for 100 CDR spindle!) :cool: and work perfect on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING burnt at any speed including 40x :cool:

Originally posted by SSJ4 Vegetto

My favourite CD-Rs are the DiskHouse CDRs which are manufactured by Ritek. They are VERY high quality and VERY CHEAP! (£15 for 100 CDR spindle!) :cool: and work perfect on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING burnt at any speed including 40x :cool:

All cd’s burn at full speed and are errorless after burning. But for how long. I find the phalo’s have a much shorter life than the older cyanines.

I have the following burners

1. Matsushita/panasonic scsi 4x8 CDR (only)
  2. Sony crx1611 16x10x40
  3. Liteon 48126S 48x12x48 (48x24x48)

I have to burn the cyanines at lower speed than the phalos using the lite-on, but for christ-sake, what do I care about a minute or two if the cd last 10 years instead of 3 months?