CD/DVD Writer not reading discs

Hello everyone. I have an Optorite DVD RW DD0405 cdr/dvdr combo drive that stopped reading discs. At first it stopped recognizing blank cd-rs. Now it doesn’t recognize blank dvd-rs nor does it read other dvd/cds. I have the latests firmware installed. Is this problem fixable or do I need to buy a new drive?

Try it in another pc. If it won’t work there, it’s likely toast…

the lens could probably require cleaning. Use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol (the higher the percentage on the rubbing alcohol the better) and when you wipe the lens be very light with the pressure because even a q-tip can scratch the drive lens. Also the laser’s ribbon cable might need to unplug, power up, power down, replug, power up and could get it to reset the laser back to working again. Please do a search on “Power Calibration Error” in the cdfreaks forums and look for a post by me. I made a detailed recap of my experience doing this to bring 3-5 various optical drives back to life. An Xbox DVD-ROM, 2 Plextor PX-716A, and I think another model drive too. BTW could you send me a copy of your firmware? The drive I have in front of me has firmware 140I and I’m looking to put in 160I.