CD-DVD Speed PI failures and Quality score

vbimport

First off I know the quality score given by CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 does not really reflect the burn quality because it only looks at PIF’s as far as I can tell.
When I scan DVD+R’s using CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 on my SOHW 1693s or my ASUS DRW-24B1ST if PIF maximum is 2 I get a 95% score. If PIF maximum is 3 I get a 93% score. If PIF maximum is 4 I get a 90% score. Now the question is I see quality scans by other members using CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16 and BenQ drives having maximum PIF’s of 6 or 8 and getting quality scores of 97%-98%. What gives here? I know I should forget about the quality score but it bugs the hell out of me. See examples below.

LiteOn drives report PIF per 1 ECC block while BenQ drives report PIF per 8 ECC blocks. For this reason, CDSpeed allows higher peaks of PIF in BenQ scans for the same quality percentage.

There is no exact way of translating from PIF@8ECC to PIF@1ECC, however.

You can read more here if you like.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2525267]LiteOn drives report PIF per 1 ECC block while BenQ drives report PIF per 8 ECC blocks. For this reason, CDSpeed allows higher peaks of PIF in BenQ scans for the same quality percentage.

There is no exact way of translating from PIF@8ECC to PIF@1ECC, however.

You can read more here if you like.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense now thanks.