CD/DVD Software Vendors, Aren't You Ashamed? (Unicode support again)

vbimport

Hello,

I’m searching for CD/DVD burning software whose GUI is capable to handle filenames in Unicode. So far, the search has failed miserably. Due to ridiculous Win9x/Me support, we still don’t have any single CD/DVD software product, which can handle filenames in different languages for same compilation. It’s even more pathetic because CD/DVD filesystems support Unicode for ages already. And it’s at all outrageous, because it is year 2005 out there.

Since early days of NT4 I can name my files an any language I please. And at the very moment I’m writing this posting I still can’t burn these files on single disk. Typical advice that software vendor gives is: switch system locale, then burn for that specific language. That’s the best I can get.

I think there are lot of burning experts here reading this forum. Please, advise me what to do in this situation. Is there anything that can burn files with names in Russian, English, Deutsch and Arabic on single disc at once?

Thanks in advance

Gee, I never realised that :eek: ! Very interesting point actually.
I’ hope that with the thread bump from my input we’ll get some lights on the subject… :slight_smile:

<RANT intensity=100%>
Actually, I lost any hope long time ago. The only consolation is that if not myself, then probably my [grand]children will be lucky enough to see Unicode support in burning software.

I don’t know why exactly CD/DVD burning software is so different from other kinds of software. At first I thought that burning software is so complex and big that there is huge legacy code base, which can’t be built with wide character support. So, the only solution is to write everything from scratch. Then I noticed that there are burning packages that are merely of few MB’s (including graphics et al). Moreover, there are programs which are written by single enthusiast person! So, writing CD/DVD burning program from scratch is by all means doable even by single developer.

Then there is mega-question: Why, why nobody wrote it with Unicode support till this very day? Why can’t they do two separate builds, one is ANSI (for Win9x, if it’s so important for them) and another is Unicode (for NT line, which 97% of users have)? How can they underestimate importance of different languages support now, in year 2005?

I can’t recall any other software I used under Win2K/XP in recent couple of years that was lacking wide character support. It is vast spectre of programs: from programming tools to media editing packages. There is only one strange category that stands out: CD/DVD burning software.
:sad:
</RANT>

Actually, if you have the foreign version Windows XP installed then the characters are displayed correctly in Nero, or any burning software program.

Maybe try the official Windows XP foreign language pack, eg. Traditional Simplified Chinese CD. It basically converts English Windows XP into Chinese version of Windows XP (plus stil having English too!). This is different from installing the Asian language support from the english Windows XP CD.

You can download the language CD from microsoft site.

From the Roxio site:
It seems to support Unicode,
Roxio

That’s exactly the problem. I don’t want foreign versions of OS. Neither I want to install language packs. In Win2K/XP it’s enough to add language support to type filenames in that language or write text in Notepad. This is because NT line of OS’es support Unicode natively. All I need to do is just to add relevant fonts.

If software is built to use ANSI strings only (i.e. as in DOS/Win9x days), then it can use only one code page at a time (i.e. only single language other than English). Simultaneous suppot of several languages in such software is non-trivial, cumbersome and error prone.

I wonder why noone of CD/DVD burning software vendors did Unicode (native for NT) version yet. It seems so natural. Moreover, OS gives Unicode support to you for free; just fix your text strings to use wide characters and build as Unicode. That’s all.

It is a list of supported filesystems. Joliet filesystem supports Unicode, indeed. However, graphical user interface of burning software doesn’t support wide characters. So, I can’t use Unicode filenames for single compilation (though filesystem supports that - what a pity!). I just can’t type such names in software’s interface. When I switch keyboard language and start typing, then I can see only gibberish instead of filenames. I can use only one non-English language at a time.

Have you thought about Linux? I think K3b (burner software) will support unicode in the GUI if it is running under a KDE desktop. Double check me, it’s been a while.

any help ?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/graftabl.mspx
prolly not - but;

I have k3b on KDE with knoppix, but haven’t looked into it yet, nor would I really know how to test this

Yes, I thought about it. However, IMHO, it’s still far away from being mature desktop OS for home user. I don’t want to start here endless “Windows vs Linux” flame. Please, understand me. Linux just doesn’t suit me yet.

That’s exactly the problem - only one codepage at a time. Suppose I want to burn files with Cyrillic, Turkish and Arabic names. Then graftabl is of no help.

If you can read these languages, would finding a forum based on those languages lead to a solution, since they have to deal with this? (I guess they have to deal with it) Or contact Roxio and Ahead directly and see what they say.

I tried other forums. The common consensus is that writing many languages at once is impossible. Only one non-English language at a time. Software vendors suggest to switch locale, too.

Currently I’m using one from Cyberlink known as Power2Go… or something similar sounding. That one works with unicode. I’ve actually successfully burnt dvd-rs that possess files containing chinese, korean and japanese words. But the catch to this software is it’s a very simple cd/dvd burning software… and it might not provide the necessary features/advanced features that you guys might be looking for. Hmm…I think I gonna try out Roxio’s and see if it works with unicode.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try.

Hmm…I think I gonna try out Roxio’s and see if it works with unicode.
I can save a bother. It doesn’t.

only thing i found to work is vso copytodvd

Actually, no. I wrote them an e-mail once. They confirmed that Unicode characters in GUI are unsupported yet.

even if its not officially supported, i have been able to burn japanese/chinese filenames no problems with it. can’t vouch for languages other than english/japanese/chinese though…

Complex Evolution work with any languages. But I don’t test to burn files on single disk.

Finally! The problem solved with CyberLink Power2Go software. Though its interface is quite clumsy, but it supports Unicode filenames.
:cool: