CD & DVD RWriter maintenance

I have a DVD rewriter (LG GSA 4163B)…which is still functionning “relatively” well…
I just killed one after the other of 2 CD rewriters…The first was an LG combo (ie it also read DVDs) the second was a SONY CDE-RW CRX230E…

I recall burning about 100 CD on each .They start to burn non readable CDs ,I open and clean them very carefuly .I also used the common spray for old recorders’ magnetic heads cleaning 100% volatile…and that was it…Fucked up…

2 Questions here please:

1. If dry cleaning of the lens from the inside is not enough,what to do…?
    Did I irriversibly kill my writers or is there any hope…

2. In case I buy a new one,does the burning speed influence the longevity of the lens?..Should I use higher or lower speed to make my poor writers live a little bit longer…?

the price they are now i wouldent bother buy new if you want to clean the lens i use a soft brush preferibly a one used for cleaning cameras etc dont recomend using the dvd cleaners (dvd with a little brush on) they seem to make it worse

Thank you very much for your prompt answer…but still my questions are there…

If dry cleaning of the lens from the inside is not enough…
Did I irriversibly kill…
Should I use higher or lower speed…

Speed will not (should not) effect the longevity of a drive. Quality of brand and build will.

Your LG GSA 4163B - is run by a crappy little chipset known as a ‘Renesas’ - be thankful you have got 100 burns out of it.
The CRX230E… I always thoght were a decent unit, I’m not sure if Liteon/Mediatek have had a hand in that particular model but I’d say it was plum bad luck with that one.

In 3 years i’ve never had to clean or dissasemble a drive. My Sony DRU510A is still going strong (approx 1000+ burns) and my Benq and NEC also have numerous (high Speed) burns under their belt. I’d say upgrade and forget the past.

Thanks Polluson…Will have to buy a new DVD writer…I will try to choose a good mark…