Cd/dvd rw drive is now a cd-rom drive

My cd/dvd rw drive suddenly stopped working about a week ago. I checked in Computer and it had disappeared.

I restarted my computer and it said it was installing the drivers for a tssp c rp cp drds ps l 3 h ata drive but it failed. Then i restarted a few more times and until it installed drivers that made it into cd drive (d: ) (my dvd drive was named (e: )) and now after several more restarts and uninstalling of the drive in Device Manager i have yhcfgrw qfot2b41 scsi cd rom device which is basically useless as i need it to play dvds

I’ve already tried deleting upperfilters and lowerfilters with no change. I also deleted itunes. I have no other burning software on my laptop and i’m at the end of my rope now. I don’t want to take it in to be fixed as in my experience they’re pretty useless and end up just reinstalling windows when they get stuck (this has happened to me on 2 occasions)

I use Vista 32 bit. Laptop is only 8 months old

Any help would be great but i’ve been all over the internet and the only fix i can find seems to be deleted upper/lower filters in the registry but as i say that hasn’t helped me in the slightest

I don’t know if this is relevant but the dvd drive i had was an ata drive and the drive that it appears as now is a scsi drive. Is that significant at all?

Hi and Welcome,

this looks like a cable or connection problem.
Can you remove and reseat the drive?
If not, contact the laptop manufacturer for service under warranty.

Michael

thing is it started working again randomly for a day or two and then it happened again.

I don’t know what i’m looking for when i open the laptop i’d probably just make it worse.

I was hoping i wouldn’t have to send it away but i guess i’ll have to just suck it up lol

any other ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Hi,[quote=the-popsicle;2215328]thing is it started working again randomly for a day or two and then it happened again.[/quote]this comfirms my theory.
Please check the manufacturer’s support website if there is a service or maintenance manual. Your chances are very good, if you have a Dell, HP or IBM/Lenovo laptop.
Very often, there is only one single screw that secures the drive. After removing that screw, you should be able to pull the drive out and reseat it.

Michael

Thanks that helps alot

If i open up my laptop myself it doesn’t invalidate the warranty or anything like that does it? (it’s an Avast laptop)

[QUOTE=the-popsicle;2215644]Thanks that helps alot

If i open up my laptop myself it doesn’t invalidate the warranty or anything like that does it? (it’s an [B]Avast [/B]laptop)[/QUOTE]

sorry thats an [B]Advent[/B] laptop

Hi,[quote=the-popsicle;2215644]
If i open up my laptop myself it doesn’t invalidate the warranty or anything like that does it?[/quote]It depends. You shouldn’t have a problem if the drive is designed to be easily replaced. If there is a description in the manual…

(it’s an Advent laptop)
No idea about this (for me unknown) company.

Contact their support department for advice.

Michael

Thanks alot for all the help just need to find a teeny tiny screwdriver lol

EDIT: I removed my drive (much more easily than i thought) and it fixed itself straight away. Fab. Although its still showing that i have 2 drives a cd rom (d: ) and my dvd rw (e: ) anyone know why this is? Just curious as it doesn’t affect the actual drive

Glad you got it sorted. :slight_smile:

Your second “fake” drive: could this be a virtual drive created by Deamon Tools, Alcohol or other similar software?

Michael