CD/DVD Protection Spray For Inkjet Labels

vbimport

I noticed some people are coating their inkjet printed lables with some sort of protection spray to prevent smudging, etc. I was just curious what the names of some of the products are, and where they can be found.

I noticed some products from Europe, but I need to obtain something that can be found in North America.

Thanks!

I bump this thread because I’m interested too :bigsmile:

You mean our crazy Dutch invention.
Colour protection spray from Discprint B.V,
http://www.discprint.com/

It’s supposed to make the prints waterproof.
Not much is known yet about it. Except that the print does become shiny and waterproof.

This product can be found at mutlple online stores like www.cdrwinkel.com

Also for our US folks discprint probally will ship some stuff to America that is if you order enough.

I use Patricia Nomick’s acrylic sealer. It’s in the Arts and Crafts section at Wal-Mart. It’s primarily used for protecting documents, works of art, and inkjet prints… @ $5 a can. Should be able to protect well over a hundred DVD’s with one can… I use it on my inkjet printable TY’s.

Any guidelines and advice on how to apply it on the discs properly?

Place CD on a bit of card.
Spray in smooth zig zag motion from top to bottom of disc for a couple of seconds.
Turn the card 90 degrees clockwise and repeat.
Leave the disc to sit for a few minutes and it is done.

Repeat the spraying and rotation technique to apply more layers for a glossy finish on printable discs.

You can get some from http://www.medeainternational.com/acatalog/pressitaccessories.html and it does seem to improve lifespan of printed pictures.

Ditto on Ninja’s spraying technique (hold can about 8 inches above discs), except that if you get the Patricia Nomick’s glossy, there should be no need for

Repeat the spraying and rotation technique to apply more layers for a glossy finish on printable discs.
IMO

Just remember to always shake the can well (until you don’t feel the product sloshing around inside). This produces a nice, fine mist that is very evenly applied…

You guys got me curious, which usually means that some perfectly good media is about to get wasted. This case was no exception. :rolleyes:

I went over to Hobby Lobby and picked up a can of Krylon “UV Resistant Clear Acrylic”, which is supposed to be suitable for photos and artwork. It seems to work fine on the discs, but I can’t seem to avoid the “orange-peel” effect on the finish.

Anyway, I found out how NOT to spray a disc. I thought I was being clever and screwed the bottom of a jewel case to the wall, popped a printed disc into it and sprayed. Unfortunately, the spray found it’s way around the disc and clouded the data side of the disc. :frowning:

Apart from the slightly lumpy appearance of the finish, the printed side looks very nice.

OK, I tried spraying the disc on a flat surface with clean paper under it, it worked fine with no “underspray”.

I went to WalMart and picked up some of their clear acrylic stuff. It does seem to give a more uniform coat and finish than the Krylon UV stuff. I wonder if the UV protection makes it thicker and lumpy.

Anyway, I ran some photo prints and sprayed with both types of spray and will hang them on the wall for a couple months to see how they fare. Usually, an unprotected print will fade on this wall in about 3 weeks, so I hung a control print too with no protection. Will post back in a month with results.

The Krylon is more “industrial,” the Patricia Nomick’s is made for this type of application. I’ve had no problems…

I agree that the Nomick stuff gives a better finish. I’ll try some of the Krylon plain Acrylic too to see if it’s the UV protection that makes it so thick. It does give photos an interesting texture though.

The Krylon is also just a tad clearer, where Nomick’s has a very slight yellow tint. The effect is just slightly more of a gloss with the Krylon.

As long as you are conducting testing, stop by a photo shop and see what they have to offer…

I think we can get this spray everywhere in the world.

when we want to buy it, it’d better to visit paint shop rather than computer or photo

shop. because it was derived from coating spray that we use after finishing painting.

today I bought one at home-painting corner at Canadian Tiger (kind of wal-mart)

manufacturer : KRYLON
product name : Make it last!
product classification : Clear Acrylic Sealer
price : $5 (Canadian)

Yep, but Iv’ just tried a couple of these sprays for paintings on some printed CDRs, the result is fine, but man, it stinks of chemicals for hours in the room, and it takes forever to dry :eek: - couldn’t find here the products rdgrimes recommended :frowning:

I found this forum to be very helpful and came across it searching for an answer to this thread question. So after reading, I conducted the following experiment.

First off, I just bought an Epson R380 and experienced major smudging when printing on inkjet printable CD-R’s to the point I almost returned the printer, but thought I may have the same problem even if I switch printers. I figured I’d take the advice here and put it to work. So, on this thread there seem to be 2 major contenders for clear coat sprays. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought 3 different brands.

The first was the cheapest I could find, and is made by Color Place fast dry spray paint clear glossy. The can was under $2. The second was Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic with “Protective Non-Yellowing Finish”. This can was about $3.50, and the third was the famous Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic Sealer, which was $5. Then I put them to the test.

I printed 3 identical CD’s which were mostly white so I could test for yellowing. The first round, I probably didn’t coat them enough, and I tried really hard to smudge the ink. I was able to smudge a little of all 3. Then I did it a second time, giving each, 2 nice coats of spray. They all held up pretty well. None of them showed any instant yellowing, so if any were to happen, it might be over time.

Then I ran each under water. Hands down, the water test seemed to be a differentiator. The Patricia Nimocks was the only one not to shed any ink. The Krylon shed a little in spots that weren’t perfect, and the cheap stuff was spotty as well.

From the experiment, I have to say I will definitely stick with the Patricia Nimocks spray, but the other 2 held up well enough that I won’t be tossing the cans. Who knows, maybe I just needed to give one last extra shot. You’d have to try really hard to smudge everything, and that includes holding the CD under water spraying out of a sink.

I hope this helps any others that come up with this problem.

any updates on this? is the nimocks currently the best thing out ?

[QUOTE=teflonmyk;1090217]Ditto on Ninja’s spraying technique (hold can about 8 inches above discs), except that if you get the Patricia Nomick’s glossy, there should be no need for IMO

Just remember to always shake the can well (until you don’t feel the product sloshing around inside). This produces a nice, fine mist that is very evenly applied…[/QUOTE]

I purchased this product and had iffy results. Two ruined dvds and two good ones.
I contacted the company and they said that this product will absolutely ruin the dvd in the future.
Have you had this problem in the long term?
Thanks.

[QUOTE=Paul Cohen;2110817]I purchased this product and had iffy results. Two ruined dvds and two good ones.
I contacted the company and they said that this product will absolutely ruin the dvd in the future.
Have you had this problem in the long term?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You probably suffer from over-spray or drips onto the data side. The disc must be laid flat on an absorbent surface like card stock. Spray very light coats, 2 or 3, with dry time between. Clear acrylic will not harm the polycarbonate disc.

http://www.veritysystems-store.com/acatalog/CD_DVD_Inkjet_Printed_Disc_Guard_Spray.html

States that the printed colours are enhanced, has anyone else found this? Does it work?

I have used 3 different sprays for this purpose (Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze, Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss and FolkArt Hi-Shine Glaze) and find they all leave small air bubbles on the finish even WITHOUT PRIOR SHAKING OF THE CAN. Looks yukky. Anyone had similar experience? Heard about Patricia Nomick’s but never found it in Toronto.
Anyone knows where I can find it in Toronto?