CD/DVD problem

vbimport

Ok…before anyone responds please read this thoroughly. I am not able to get my CD/DVD player/burner to work. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago and yesterday there was nothing. Windows media player says I have no device. I looked online and found all kinds of things to do. This includes the steps of going into device manager. Every site I’ve been to says to do the steps even if the device is not listed. The problem is that the CATEGORY is not listed for me to go into. I have found a few other posts where people have the same problem and everyone responds with the original messages. How do I get CD/DVD to even appear as a category in the device manager again so I can do the steps that everyone will tell me to do? Please help! If it makes a difference, we are using an HP Pavilion laptop with windows vista. It is from 2008. We are replacing it later this year with a MAC but obviously still need to use it until that happens. Thank you in advance.

Does the drive show up in the bios of the computer? If not, then you have a hardware failure of some sort.

To access the bios, you’ll need to hit one of the function keys as you boot up. Unfortunately, HP uses different ones for different models, so look up your specific model, or read your manual. It should be F1, F10 or F11, though some use F2 or the Esc key.

Don’t change anything in the bios, just hit the option to Exit and Discard changes.

One other thing to try is to go back to a restore point that was made prior to the start of the problem. But if it is a problem in hardware, this won’t help.

And here is a unique method of getting the CD/DVD drive category to show up in Device Manager. Download and install Slysoft Virtual CloneDrive. http://slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

It is free to use. Once installed, it should force the operating system to give you the category for optical drives, even though the one it creates is a virtual drive.

Don’t know that it will help you locate the original drive however, but should let you see the category.

If the drive shows up in the bios,you can try this in windows:

device manager–>IDE ATA/ATAPI-controllers,expand and choose ‘update drivers’ for the listed entry,then ‘search my computer for drivers’ and then 'choose from a list with drivers on my computer’
From that list,you choose the ‘standard sata controller’,install it and reboot…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2730763]And here is a unique method of getting the CD/DVD drive category to show up in Device Manager. Download and install Slysoft Virtual CloneDrive. [/QUOTE]

I think what this does is installs the AnyDVD.sys driver .
IIRC & it’s been a long time . This will install this driver for all DVD drives.
I know all my DVD drives have it. I also have AnyDVD HD & it also installs it.

A plus that Virtual CloneDrive adds that I like is :
Right click on the drive will now have a “close tray” option.

[QUOTE=cjparker0110;2730761]Ok…before anyone responds please read this thoroughly. I am not able to get my CD/DVD player/burner to work. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago and yesterday there was nothing. Windows media player says I have no device. I looked online and found all kinds of things to do. This includes the steps of going into device manager. Every site I’ve been to says to do the steps even if the device is not listed. The problem is that the CATEGORY is not listed for me to go into. I have found a few other posts where people have the same problem and everyone responds with the original messages. How do I get CD/DVD to even appear as a category in the device manager again so I can do the steps that everyone will tell me to do? Please help! If it makes a difference, we are using an HP Pavilion laptop with windows vista. It is from 2008. We are replacing it later this year with a MAC but obviously still need to use it until that happens. Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the drive hasn’t just suddenly and completely died, which is on the unlikely side, have you tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us, in particular resolution 3 (removing upper and lower filters)?

If you Google “removing upper and lower filters” or something along those lines I’m sure that you’ll probably find some illustrated step by step ‘tutorials’ if the MS guidelines are too unfriendly.