CD/DVD Printing with Epson R280 - photoshop?

I’m sure this has probably been discussed, but I couldn’t find anything relating directly to it, so here we go…

I just bought a R280 to replace an aging 960, and much to my dismay, I can’t find any way of printing on a disc other than using Epson software (which sucks).

Is anybody using Photoshop or Illustrator, especially on a Mac, with this printer? I was going to try to figure out my own template for it, but the CD/DVD option in print settings is grayed out - so I cant even test.

This really sucks, and I’m really disappointed as this makes it much more difficult to print on discs.

[QUOTE=chinnr;1981729]I’m sure this has probably been discussed, but I couldn’t find anything relating directly to it, so here we go…

I just bought a R280 to replace an aging 960, and much to my dismay, I can’t find any way of printing on a disc other than using Epson software (which sucks).

Is anybody using Photoshop or Illustrator, especially on a Mac, with this printer? I was going to try to figure out my own template for it, but the CD/DVD option in print settings is grayed out - so I cant even test.

This really sucks, and I’m really disappointed as this makes it much more difficult to print on discs.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t done it, but I believe you need to create a Photoshop template for discs. Try searching for templates.

Thanks CDan for the reply.

Well, I’m halfway there on creating my own template (actually have the ones I used with my 960). I guess the main problem I’m having is that the CD/DVD paper setting in the print dialog window is not available (its greyed out) in all applications, other than the Epson CD software.

Anyone? Help?

You may wind up just creating the label in Photoshop, then saving as a BMP or JPG and using that in the Epson software to print. Just save it as 4.5"x4.5", or anything larger, then use it as a “background” in Epson’s program. You can even create a circle in Photoshop if that helps you align things.

Howdi…

I just got my R280 last night, and I created a template after about 5 prints to a scrap disk. It’s pretty close. Here’s a link to the psd file, created in CS3, 300dpi, 952k filesize:

http://www.njfreelance.com/r280template.psd

We use ufosystem’s bulk ink refill system
with their clearview ink.
mainly print CD and DVD for church events.
We also use it for wedding video.
Now we are moving toward to blu ray video but so far, we can not find ink jet printable blu ray dvd disk. If anyone has a good source of blu ray ink jet printable, please let us know.

Here is the video link for ufosystem’s bulk in refill system

I just got started trying the same thing in Illustrator - will send an update in a few days after I figure out a template.

Anybody who suggests importing the artwork into Epson’s software hasn’t taken a good look at the results. It appears to convert vector images into bitmaps, even if you import them as vector images (in Windows Enhanced Metafile format for example). The results are very jagged lines - this may not matter - it depends on your image and your intended result, but for any serious graphics application it is unacceptable.

From Illustrator (Windows) I am able to select print to CD/DVD on the print driver, but of course the image is not magically centered and unless you mask the image, it is possible to print over the hub and it sprays ink on the carrier.

I know it was several years ago, but did you ever figure out how to print CDs on your R280 with Photoshop?

Dick Cole
Chicago

I realize this thread is a little old but. I use Photoshop to create my CD/DVD labels. I have a template saved in pictures or scan an actual CD/DVD. I also save DVD/CD logos that I add to the discs as well. After creating the label, I save it as a JPEG file and open with the Epson Print CD software. I use the import drop down and choose picture. Once opened the label can be printed and saved as an Epson label. This also works for Lightscribe.

[QUOTE=dtcole;2668277]I know it was several years ago, but did you ever figure out how to print CDs on your R280 with Photoshop?

Dick Cole
Chicago[/QUOTE]

Interested in knowing this as well.