Cd/dvd printing : the ink doesn't dry

vbimport

Hello,

I have boughts blanc dvd indicated as “printable”, however, when printing with a epson photo color 900 printer, the ink doesn’t dry, and stays liquid in very small bubbles on the surface.

The problem is not caused by the printer or ink used, because printing another type of printable dvd works fine.

Anyone out there recognises the problem ?

sounds like the printing surface is not clean from someone’s fingers :smiley: before you print on it try giving it a wipe over with a clean cloth to remove traces of oil from fingerprints and so on

The dvd I used are clean.

No the problem is caused by the fact that the dvd’s, although having a white surface, are missing a coating that make them inkjet printable.

Conclusion : white surface is not equal to “ink jet printable”

I didn’t even know you could print directly onto a DVD! How do you feed it into the printer? I thought you print on a label and apply it to the DVD with a special “ring”. ??? :confused:

Tek.

u use special printers with a caddy for loading printable discs into them.

And the best printer for printing direct to CD/DVD printables is the Canon i865!

Labeling media by any other method (ie Stick on labels) other then with a marker or with an inket printer is not recommended and has been known to cause all sorts of problems.

I just prefer to be on the safe side and not label them at all :bigsmile:

What I do is just keep them in a jewel case and have the info in the jewel case.

To save space I have recently been putting 2 to 4 CDs in the jewel case (the inner ring keeps a small distance between them,) so in my “database” I just referred to the manufacturer of the disc–I mix different manufacturers.

I also kept a whole bunch in a spindle and resorted to SCRATCHING the CD info (Name/Number) in the inner ring with a sharp object.

The data actually “lives” on the label side of the CD. That’s where the pits are. So damage to the label side can be much worse than to the optical side. In fact if you try–you can easily peel off the shiny reflective surface right off! Once you scratch it, it just FLAKES off!

Printing done during the manufacturing process is one thing, but applying labels and certain markers can cause deterioration of the reflective coating.

I know some markers are considered safe. I hope the inkjet inks are safe as well. But the way I see it, the less you do and handle the disc the safer the data is.

Labels are extremely dangerous because the adhesive materials can be unstable and “melt” over time as so many labels, tapes, do. Also, labels placed on one side can unbalance the disc, and full labels make the disc slightly heavier which might affect something. I’ve even read about the distribution of INK affecting the balance of the disc. Those discs spin faster than a HD, and the smallest imbalance can cause too much vibration. Don’t know about the validity of this but it sounds plausible.

Of course if you are giving people copies of stuff, and you don’t care too much then anything goes, but with the stuff I want to archive I’m just insanely cautious. I don’t need pretty labels–Too much work to make them anyway–I just need a number so I can match them up with my “database”…

:iagree:

Tek.

What kind of DVD Printable you used?
Could it be blank DVD-R printable for THERMAL that you actually printed in INKJET printer?

Daniel

http://www.ascotmedia.com
Duplication with Imagination

Ritek 4x DVD-R and Ritek 8x DVD+R “printable” is what I am using with the Canon i865.
I had some old white top +R’s at the bottom of the drawer so i thought i’d pop one in to see what happened.
waste of ink- i had to wipe it off with a cloth, but i thought i’d give it a go anyway.
I only buy printables now, even cd’rs. And yes that does mean inkjet printable NOT thermal like that TDK printer you can get!

From what I gather, for standard inket ink to dry it has to either absorb into the paper or chemically react with it, so for example, if you insert a glossy magazine page (coated paper) into an inkjet, the ink will be “bubbly” and stay wet for quite a while. (The glossy photo-paper for inkjet is supposedly chemically formulated to “bond” with the ink on contact so the ink dries immediately and doesn’t bubble.)

And furthermore it sometimes has to match the ink. So if you use a Canon I820 and put HP photo paper in it, the photos will look spotty “bubbly”, while compatible Canon paper will make photos look like true silver halide prints or better…

Tek.