Cd/dvd not reconized in bios

Hi everyone, I am new to this so please be patient, can anyone help with a problem with my laptop, The cd/dvd drive broke so my brother replaced it witha new one exactly the same make and model as the old one, it worked perfect.
I kept getting a blue screen then the computer shut down, I rang fujitsu siemens help line and they said that windows had gone wrong and i needed a recovery cd which i bought. at this stage i could not open windows but could in safe mode. I opened the bios screen and made the cd/dvd priority then put in the recovery cd, it started working but half way through it shut down again, now when i turn on the computer I have nothing no windows or anything, i rang the helpline again and he siad that in bios the system is not reconizing my cd/dvd in the ide config or something like that. can anyone please help.

Typically, if the BIOS isn’t seeing the drive, you have a bad drive, a loose/bad cable, motherboard issue, or the drive does not have power.

In the case of laptops, many have drives that can be removed/swapped, in which case it could just be a dirty or damaged connector.

Welcome to the forum, I agree for reconnecting the drive might help or might be a bad drive. Does the reader light on the drawer light up when closing it? If not it’s a power problem and you need to reseat the drive.

Fact is, the replacement drive needs to have an FSC OEM firmware to work in this Laptop, there is no other way.

[QUOTE=chef;1958687]Fact is, the replacement drive needs to have an FSC OEM firmware to work in this Laptop, there is no other way.[/QUOTE]

Read the OP, it is the same drive replacement. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replys, It does have power to the cd/dvd I did remove it and put it back in. The light comes on but it wont work.
A couple of questions what is an FSC OEM firmware and what is the OP and how do I read it. I do have a main computer what I am using at the moment.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1958832]Read the OP, it is the same drive replacement. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Have you even read my post carefully?

The make & model is not important, the important thing is the FIRMWARE on the drive! Here it must be FSC OEM.

Yes I have read your post carefully, I do not understand computers Iam a complete beginner so I shall ask again what is the FIRMWARE and how do i find out if it is FCS OEM.

[QUOTE=lenabiggs;1959766]Yes I have read your post carefully, I do not understand computers Iam a complete beginner so I shall ask again what is the FIRMWARE and how do i find out if it is FCS OEM.[/QUOTE]

Go to the drives web site and look for firmware thru them first. Enter your model number and it will tell you if there is a upgraded firmware for your drive is available for you to download and install. :doh:Chef must not have read your post clearly or he could have seen your a newbie to the forum.:doh: I hope this helps you let us know either way. Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

[QUOTE=chef;1959097]Have you even read my post carefully?

The make & model is not important, the important thing is the FIRMWARE on the drive! Here it must be FSC OEM.[/QUOTE]

:eek:Simply saying how to get this firmware would have been a better choice of words for you to have typed. This person is new to the forum and in their posts I could sense they were beginers in this field! :rolleyes:

Take care and happy holidays to you Chef.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1959769]:eek:Simply saying how to get this firmware would have been a better choice of words for you to have typed. This person is new to the forum and in their posts I could sense they were beginers in this field! :rolleyes:

Take care and happy holidays to you Chef.[/QUOTE]

Is that your way to say that my post was correct!? :confused:

I thought my post was clear enough. The OP needs a OEM firmware from FSC to fix/flash the slimtype drive. Slimtype drives are unlike HH/half-heigth ones that mostly don’t require special OEM firmwares because they can be jumpered. :wink:

[B]The OP still has not mentioned the make & model of the drive nor the Laptop model number/ID…
[/B]
Anyway, have a nice xmas.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/

Hi, I know I am being thick and thanks for your replys but even if I go to the web site and I do need a download how do i put it on my laptop when it has nothing on it and I cant use the cd/dvd drive, (see my first post)
Just to recap my laptop has died but I have a big computer I am using now.
I think I have just realised that I am the OP, sorry and I am not blond either, The make and model of the laptop is a fujitsu siemens
AMILO D8830 seriel no 3771020104 and the drive is ( I am not sure which part you want so here goes) model no:nd-6500a seriel no: 4ye1h90c111 Hope this helps.
Merry christmas to you all.

Have you reinstalled windows on your laptop (Recovery)?

No I cant get the drive to work to re intall windows. I have the windows recovery disc which I bought, but I cant play it.

[QUOTE=lenabiggs;1960866]No I cant get the drive to work to re intall windows. I have the windows recovery disc which I bought, but I cant play it.[/QUO

This drive is under warranty right?

[QUOTE=lenabiggs;1960504]Hi, I know I am being thick and thanks for your replys but even if I go to the web site and I do need a download [B]how do i put it on my laptop when it has nothing on it and I cant use the cd/dvd drive[/B], (see my first post)
Just to recap my laptop has died but I have a big computer I am using now.
I think I have just realised that I am the OP, sorry and I am not blond either, The make and model of the laptop is a fujitsu siemens
AMILO D8830 seriel no 3771020104 and the drive is ( I am not sure which part you want so here goes) model no:nd-6500a seriel no: 4ye1h90c111 Hope this helps.
Merry christmas to you all.[/QUOTE]

Flashing the drive would require another computer, an ide 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor and the correct flasher/firmware.

BUT, if the drive is still under warranty, please consider returning it to the seller.

I dont think, so I bought it off e bay. I shall explain more, the drive would not play and I was told by the help desk that it was not being reconized in the bios, so I i opened it up in safe mode by pressing f8 once windows had loaded I went onto my computer and started the recovery disc that way ( I was still being advised on the phone) as they said it could be a driver error, windows started the recovery disc it had 3 stages one of them was preparing and the last is putting the windows programme back on, it got through 2 of the stages then I got a blue screen and it shut down. now I have nothing no windows I cant use the f8 key to load from the hard drive I have tried and my cd/dvd still wont reconize in the bios.
You are being very patient with me, thank you.
Hope you had a good christmas day.

OK, its a bad thing happened then.
I had a similar case few days ago, I removed the harddisk from the computer and then put in onto another, startep up some recovery tools and saved all useful data on another harddisk. That is very important, so you wont loose that data on the hdd and it cannot get worse. Means, you can save some important data this way.

In your case, maybe there is a chance to get an external cd/dvd drive (maybe with usb connector), connect it, boot from it (maybe you need to adjust BIOS settings before).
When youhave booted up, try to SAVE all data you can get from the harddisk before doing anything to it, even repairs…
After that, you could boot up again with the windows rescue disk and try to recover the filesystem, folder, files etc.

Good Luck!

Thanks I will try that.