Cd/dvd just simply disappears, it comes back but just disappears for days and is so frustrating

vbimport

Hi everyone

I own a inspiron 9400 laptop, Im running windows 7, the computer goes well except for on constant issue, every now and again my dvd drive disappears, I have to try rebooting my machine anywhere between 5 times to 200 times before it suddenly comes back and I can carry on with my work.
These are the things Ive tried, Ive looked in device manager and it does not exist in there, I have gone to registry files and looked for upper and lower but there are none there, can anyone please help me. Regards Mike

Unplug, then replug everything on the ODD back in, power and signal. Unplug/plug the signal wire on the MB side too. If it still doesn’t work then its time for a new drive :slight_smile:

Hi Eric93e

Im not that savvy with computers on the technical side, can you break down what it is you want me to try, I do appreciate your patience

He meant disconnect and reconnect the drive.

[QUOTE=fieldmo;2574182]Hi Eric93e

Im not that savvy with computers on the technical side, can you break down what it is you want me to try, I do appreciate your patience[/QUOTE]

The cables on the back of the optical drive, unplug them, then plug them back in. Follow the cable to the motherboard, unplug it then plug it back in again. If the computer still doesn’t recognize the drive then buy a new one $20.

All laptops I’ve seen have drives that plug into a bay on the laptop and have no cable on the optical drive, and I’ve never seen an optical drive for less than $50 for a laptop.

Another option, if you don’t want to open up your lappy, would be to get an external drive and just plug in when needed. :slight_smile:

:doh: sorry didn’t catch it was a lappy.

Unfortunately some softwares like Alcohol 120% or any other softwares which try to install a virtual drive, do something like that.

Did you try to install any of these software?