CD DVD integrity check/scan

vbimport

I have a game that’s not working properly and I’m wondering if it’s because the DVD is damaged or corrupted

Is there a tool I can use to see if the DVD is ok? I want to make sure it’s not a DVD problem before I waste ages trying to get things to work

I have a Lite-On iHAS 324

Oh… should I have posted this in the CD and DVD Writers section?

I tried something called SmartBurn 3.51 but it doesn’t open. Maybe becuase of Windows 7 64?

[QUOTE=mejobloggs;2508104]I have a game that’s not working properly and I’m wondering if it’s because the DVD is damaged or corrupted

Is there a tool I can use to see if the DVD is ok? I want to make sure it’s not a DVD problem before I waste ages trying to get things to work

I have a Lite-On iHAS 324

Oh… should I have posted this in the CD and DVD Writers section?[/QUOTE]

Hi mejobloggs

Welcome to MyCE :flower:

Have you tried cleaning the disc ? it may just need to be cleaned…

Use something like windex glass cleaner and a lent free cloth, when you go to wipe off the windex wipe in a straight line going from the center hole to the outer edge and make sure it is fully dry before placing it in the drive.

I’ve cleaned it a few times with lint free cloth

Thanks for the welcome. I’ve been very intrigued by the cd/dvd section of this website, a lot of smart people here doing smart things :slight_smile:

I did search the forum, but it keep giving me posts from 5 years ago, and none of the program links worked anymore :frowning:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

You have a LiteOn, so with DVDs you could try a Disc Quality Scan using Opti Drive Control (trial version available here) - I believe the forum standard scanning speed is 8x, for that drive.

Opti Drive Control also offers a Transfer Rate Test option, with which you can check if that drive has a problem reading the disc at its full speed. LiteOns usually aren’t the best drives for this test though, as often they can overlook or handle disc read errors better.

Before you give that a go, though, there may be a simpler answer: what brand of disc did you use, and at what speed did you burn? :slight_smile:

Nah it’s an official game cd (stalker clear sky)

I can see no scratches at all, and I’ve cleaned it a few times, but sometimes Windows doesn’t recognize the disk is in, although mostly it does. And sometimes when installing the game it thinks files on the dvd are corrupt

But I’ve found the problem I’ve been having with the game (it wasn’t starting) is fairly common, and not to do with having a bad DVD

(I thought it wouldn’t start because it was trying to do a disc check, but couldn’t verify the disk)

I see, glad you found out what the problem was!