CD/DVD drives not recognized

vbimport

I realize this sounds like many other posts with similar problems, but I’ve tried all the posted solutions I’ve been able to find, and still, no luck. I am running XP Home SP2 on a Dell Dimension 8400. The icons for my DVD drives disappeared from My Computer. The Device Manager shows the drives (by name) with exclamation points. When I highlight either drive and select Properties, I get “Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)” I tried uninstalling the drives and rebooting; no help. I tried deleting the upper and lower filters from the registry; no help. I downloaded and ran “cdgone”; no help. I looked into doing a system restore, but for some reason it only showed two restore points, from the past two days. I tried a restore but the restore failed! Finally I attempted to run a backup.reg file I had created a couple months ago. First I booted to safe mode, then executed the .reg file. I got a “Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.” And my drives are still unavailable. I know (at least one of) the drives work, as I was able to boot to Knoppix from the drive. I have run virus scans with Kaspersky 8.0 and have run Spybot and AdAware. As far as I know, nothing else on my system is broken. How can I recover my drives?

i have the same problem only with added problems: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) i have a amd 64 3800 with 2gb ram 250 gb hd, ati 9550 video card i have

winxp home sp2. my problem is my cd and dvd drives dont show up in windows.i

uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but to no avail.i tried the ms

registry cleaner, that didnt work. when i try to install the drivers i get

this message:Windows cannot start this hardware device because its

configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code

i also have a new (don’t know how it got there)partition in My Computer

called INHOUSE. it has bios, windows utils, burn, and other files in it. any

idea

Hi and Welcome!

please try if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

btw it is a good idea to have SP3 installed :wink:

Michael

that help from MS doesnt work. i had SP3 installed and thought that was the problem,so i uninstalled it. whats buggin me is that extra partition, which looks like a recovery partition, called INHOUSE. how can i get rid of it?

[quote=unisol0;2141821]that help from MS doesnt work.[/quote]okay. You tried the manual method also? It’s a good idea to search MSKB for “code 19” then.

i had SP3 installed and thought that was the problem,so i uninstalled it.
Since this was not the culprit, you can reinstall SP3.
whats buggin me is that extra partition, which looks like a recovery partition, called INHOUSE. how can i get rid of it?
Disc management. Check Windows Help for detailled information.

Michael

i tried evwerything you said to no avail. i even merged a registry script as shown on this site on and that did nothing. any ideas? thank you.

Get a bootable disc like Knoppix, Kanotix, Ultimate Boot CD etc. and try to boot up your system. You may have to change the boot order in Bios setup.

This should rule out hardware problems.

Michael

ive alredy done that with an ubuntu cd and the compuyers diaganostic disc, and they work fine. it seems to be a registry problem. i tried everything i know. heres the message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Okay.
Try reinstalling the chipset drivers for your motherboard. Use latest version, preferably from the chipset manufacturer.

Michael

my system has a VIA bios. someone mentioned installing the VIA miniport drivers might work. what do you think? but the only drivers i can find are from 2004.

my mistake i have a VIA chipset, and a phoenix bios.

Latest chipset drivers (called Hyperion Pro) are available at www.viaarena.com
I prefer ver 5.18 over the newer 5.20, which does not install properly on my W2k box. And do [B]not [/B]install the IDE drivers that come with the package.

Michael

i got the ver 518 drivers. should i reinstall SP3 first?

alphoso51,
This may sound a bit extreme, but have you considered doing a “COMPLETE SYSTEM RECOVERY” back to the original date of purchase? It’s a royal pain, but if you have made back up disks for all of you important files and such can be a real lifesaver. Same type of thing has happened to me a time or two.
Just a thought.
Good luck.
J. Deere

the problem is, it’s my daughters computer and she has about 8.32 gb of itunes songs that she doesnt want to lose. im looking into maybe backing them up over the network to my computer. i dont know if you can put those songs on another computer. hopefully i can split them into two dvds. thats the reason i cant do a system restore. i use windows and ubuntu and have never run into this problem with the drives on my computers.

hmphhhhh! I see your problem and understand it well. Let me experiment tonight and see if I can come up with anything that may help.
I’ll be back here later on this evening. Pacific coast time.
J.D.

thanks, i really appreciate your help.

Hi,[quote=unisol0;2145869]i got the ver 518 drivers. should i reinstall SP3 first?[/quote]Just as you like. Maybe the drivers first.

[quote=unisol0;2145913]the problem is, it’s my daughters computer and she has about 8.32 gb of itunes songs that she doesnt want to lose. im looking into maybe backing them up over the network to my computer. i dont know if you can put those songs on another computer. hopefully i can split them into two dvds. thats the reason i cant do a system restore.[/quote]These files may be DRM crippled, so a plain backup over LAN (or DVD/HDD/something else) and restore after reinstalling the computer will just leave 8 GB of useless data waste on the HDD. I might be wrong, so please check with itunes, what backup options exist.

Michael

mciahel, did you say not to install the ide drivers?

[quote=unisol0;2151594]mciahel, did you say not to install the ide drivers?[/quote]Yes. Do [B]not [/B]install the IDE drivers. Windows will use its own drivers, and these are fine.

Michael