CD/DVD drive

I just got my gateway laptop back from greek squad because i was having problems; one being my cd/dvd drive wasn’t reading disc’s.

Earlier in the day I was able to retrieve a file from a cd, so i know the drive issue was taken care of. I then tried to install the Sims 2 double deluxe (which i believe ruined my cd/dvd in the first place), but with my luck the drive couldn’t read the disc. I tried different discs and soon realized that I messed up my cd/dvd again, only getting it back hours later :doh:

I know the Sims 2 messed things up again. Is there anyway I can fix or at least find out what the problem is? I dont want to have to take it back to the store because I wont get it in time, i head back to school on sunday.

my cd/dvd drive is PHILIPS DVD ±RW SDVD8820 ATA Device

Does it show anything being in the drive if you look at it under "My Computer?"
Does it give an error message when you put in a disk or simply not do anything?

when i go under “my computer” it shows the DVD RW Drive E icon. when i put in a disc that icon doesnt change.

The only time it gives an error is when i put in the disc and click on the dvd icon. then a pop up says “insert a disc”. if i dont click on the dvd icon it just makes noise and nothing happens.

i also discover in my device manager that the “Mass Storage Controller” has a yellow exclamation point. i dont know if that has anything to do with this

What info is under properties??

under properties of what, the dvd drive or when a disc is inserted into laptop?

I just got my gateway laptop back from greek squad because i was having problems; one being my cd/dvd drive wasn’t reading disc’s.

Earlier in the day I was able to retrieve [B]a file from a cd[/B], so i know the drive issue was taken care of.

When DVD burners go bad, many are still able to function properly with [B]CD[/B]s. It’s DVDs that no longer work.

[QUOTE=Denise87;2236404]under properties of what, the dvd drive or when a disc is inserted into laptop?[/QUOTE]

properties in device manager, ide channels or xxxx controller.

i ended up taking it back to the store and was told the cd/dvd drive was bad. so a quick fix was to get a cd/dvd drive rewriter as a usb thing.

it’s a LG External Super Multi DVD Rewriter

Glad you got the problem resolved :slight_smile: