CD-DVD Drive Running VERY Slow & Other Problems

vbimport

I just bought a new Windows 8 computer. I swapped the CD-DVD drive that came with it for my better performing Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S which was running perfectly in my previous computer with Windows 7.

The drive runs incredibly slow. If I go in the Computer (drives) area of Windows and click on the drive to read a disk, it takes about 3 minutes to display the contents. Also, after the first time I open the tray to insert a disk, from then on when I open it it opens and closes immediately. I have to grab the tray and hold it with my hand to insert or remove a disk. After that I have to push the tray all the way back in, that is, it won’t retract automatically as I push it in.

And ideas what’s wrong?

Given the absence of replies I guess I’ll have to give it up.

I thought there were too many variables (questions) to pose before guessing. Here’s what I do when I swap out optical drives.

1. In Windows, I go to CONTROL PANEL - DEVICE MANAGER and ‘delete’ the Optical Drive. (The big IF - at this point - is that some drives (or OS’s) come with proprietary drivers or software, and I’d want to uninstall all of that first, but if it forces a reboot, well, things get a bit tricky. Hopefully, uninstalling any proprietary software still allows Windows to detect this original drive and THEN I can ‘delete’ it.)

2. After I’ve deleted the old drive’s Device Manager entry, I do an immediate Shutdown, and physically swap drives out.

3. Upon restart, I go into BIOS Setup and make sure my new drive is recognized as itself. SAVE, EXIT & RESTART…

4. Now, Windows should start up and, after many moments, I should be able to have Control Panel’s Device Manager list this new drive displayed as ‘installed’.

But there are a lot of questions - are you using the same SATA port on the motherboard - essentially using the SATA cable as-is? What OS are you using and were there any proprietary software installations necessary for that original drive? The BIOS Setup should list the correct drive always - unless the drive isn’t powered on, OR if the drive is malfunctioning. If the BIOS Setup doesn’t ‘see’ the drive, then Windows will probably not compensate.

what motherboard does your new computer have?
Did you try to replace the sata cable?Did you try to connect to another sata port?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2692733]I thought there were too many variables (questions) to pose before guessing. Here’s what I do when I swap out optical drives. [/QUOTE]

No,I didn’t remove the original drive in Windows. But, both the BIOS and Windows Device Manager recognize the Optiarc AD-7200S. No other optical drives are in the Device Manager or the BIOS.

I used the same same SATA cable and port as the original drive.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2692734]what motherboard does your new computer have?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what motherboard is has, it’s a Lenovo computer.

I would try Christine’s post#3 as close as possible.

As your OS redetects the drive it may work like it should.

I don’t have nor do I plan to have Windows8.
I don’t know if it has the correct driver for your drive but I think it should.
If after you try the suggestions you still have the problem .
It my be necessary to get the exact drivers for this drive.

Also : What are the DMA settings for this drive in your SATA controller ?
What ever it is.

Jim, there really aren’t “special drivers” for most modern OSs (ie, Vista and Win7), and even XP well-uses its standard drivers.

There SHOULD BE no difference in sending Drive ABC a command to READ than Drive XYZ’s command. But as you note, there IS a difference.

Since there’s no driver involved (that you could find), then consider Cholla’s DMA settings. (And then, I’m remembering I occasionally had to delete the whole Drive Controller, too, and let Windows re-discover/re-install it. Boy. What a pain.)

You might UNINSTALL the new Drive (from Control Panel’s Device Manager) then re-connect the old drive. Go into BIOS and let it recognize, then do a SAVE-EXIT-REBOOT and bring up Windows. Then, go back and do a REMOVE of the old drive and do a shutdown and re-install.

This time-consuming/hair pulling method is about my only guess. And if that doesn’t work?

There is the other recommendation to use a new SATA cable, and maybe even attach it to another empty SATA port on the motherboard (presuming there is one). That will again require a BIOS SETUP “Save Exit Restart”.

By the way, I ‘synthesize’ some other change in my BIOS setup. Change the date. Then change it back. That ‘synthesizes’ that some change has occurred, and the whole BIOS is re-saved. In olden days, this was often necessary - new BIOS setups shouldn’t need this…

…IF we lived in a Perfect World. cough cough, gag gag. So, I ‘synthesize’ some additional change.

One other thought… what does the Lenovo support site offer for this? Do you see any comments about “Recognize SATA” or “Improve SATA performance” or “Fix CD-DVD Drive” updates?

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2692747]Jim, there really aren’t “special drivers” for most modern OSs (ie, Vista and Win7), and even XP well-uses its standard drivers. [/QUOTE]

The Microsoft driver that’s listed in the Device Manager is dated 2006

Since there’s no driver involved (that you could find), then consider Cholla’s DMA settings.
Where and how do I find this?

(And then, I’m remembering I occasionally had to delete the whole Drive Controller, too, and let Windows re-discover/re-install it. Boy. What a pain.)
Is deleting the Drive Controller the same as deleting the drive in the Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall it?

You might UNINSTALL the new Drive (from Control Panel’s Device Manager) then re-connect the old drive. Go into BIOS and let it recognize, then do a SAVE-EXIT-REBOOT and bring up Windows. Then, go back and do a REMOVE of the old drive and do a shutdown and re-install.
I may try that.

There is the other recommendation to use a new SATA cable, and maybe even attach it to another empty SATA port on the motherboard (presuming there is one). That will again require a BIOS SETUP “Save Exit Restart”.
Right now, I don’t have an extra SATA cable, but I can see if there’s an extra port. If not, I can just switch ports with a hard drive.

One other thought… what does the Lenovo support site offer for this? Do you see any comments about “Recognize SATA” or “Improve SATA performance” or “Fix CD-DVD Drive” updates?
I don’t know if they have a support site. I’ll try to figure that out.

DMA… don’t worry about it - you asked the right question (“Was this the same as deleting and letting Windows reinstall”), yes. DMA adjustments shouldn’t be necessary on SATA devices anyway.

If you want to ‘uninstall’ this new drive (do it formally - thru Control Panel’s Device Manager and “delete”), then re-install the original drive, and use the SATA cable as-is. Do the BIOS Setup routines, and then see if performance returns to “proper” - whatever that is.

Then, go back thru the formal Uninstall of this original drive, and reinsert the new drive. On THIS attempt, if there is another SATA port on the motherboard, plug the cable into that one. This will force a new channel of data and maybe THAT will be enough of a kickstart during the BIOS Setup to make sure it and Windows uses the drive ‘best’.

I guess the other topic we’ve avoided - what software are you using so you detect ‘slower’ performance? There hasn’t been consideration that it’s some Win8 software entirely! Like I said, sooo many questions and so many possibilities for this issue.

On the other note, if you can find an exact Lenovo model number, I usually type that into GOOGLE and see what sites pop up. One of them should be a “Lenovo Support” site and I’d be looking in the DOWNLOADS area for files that deal with SATA or Optical Drive updates.

I have Vista & that is the year of the MS driver.
I actually use the AnyDVD driver which is 2013

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

My cdrom.sys is 6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410­1830)
6/21/2006

For the DMA setting if it is avaiable for your drive.
Your controllers may be different but the should be in this area of the Device manager. The one that lists your drive is the correct one.

I don’t have another SATA port nor another SATA data cable handy. I’m giving up on this for now. I’ve put the original Lenovo drive back in the machine and it’s working. Being a new machine I have a lot of software to install and I can’t do it with the Optiarc. Maybe when I get the machine set up I can come back to this.

To whomever asked the motherboard is labeled Lenovo.

Thanks to everyone particularly Christine

Jim, maybe there should be a re-evaluation or questioning of one of your original points - that the old Optiarc was “better performing”. Perhaps Lenovo’s got something running or loaded that negates the tradiition of good-performing Optiarcs and they’ve now given you a new superior drive.

If you maintain both machines - the Win7 with the Optiarc and this new Lenovo Win8 - then perhaps there will be some occasions where one drive is better than another. We all have episodes where one drive seems to read disks that other drives can’t, and then exactly the opposite scenario works. It’s great to have a backup.

The 7200 Optiarcs, both the A and S variants, are regarded as some of the best dvd burners ever produced. Many people around here will attest to that. As a burner it has few peers. I’m not sure it was the most outstanding as a reader. But I seriously doubt the new drive is in that class.

Its a shame i_am_jim cannot get it working in this new machine. SATA controller issues perhaps? Checking for new motherboard chipset drivers might be another thing to try.