CD/DVD drive not recognising (previous fixes not working)

vbimport

Hi there,

I’ve been having a problem with my DVDrw drive (HP DVD 740r) - nothing happens when a CD/DVD is inserted, and when looking in device manager I get a Code 19 error (Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged.). I’ve tried uninstalling/reinstalling, and I get a message saying the driver’s up to date but the device still won’t function. I’ve also tried the fix suggested elsewhere on this forum of deleting the upper/lower filters, which hasn’t done anything at all. It’s quite an old computer (and drive), but has Windows 7 now, which was put on a few months ago. The drive worked absolutely fine until yesterday, when nothing at all changed with my computer in terms of programs or updates.

I’ve tried locating firmware on HP’s website but with absolutely no luck - there don’t appear to be any firmware updates (or any downloads at all) for this drive and Windows 7.

ANY help at all would be massively appreciated, even if it’s to say that I simply need a new drive. Thanks very much!

Meghan

Firmware cannot help in this case - fix the drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Thanks so much for the link! The instructions there for deleting the upper/lower registry were much more in depth than the ones I’d found before, and turns out i’d only deleted the lower registry before. Problem solved!