CD/DVD drive flashing firmware, why?

vbimport

I’ve seen people on this forum, and indeed elsewhere, discussing firmware flashing on optical disc drives, and I wonder why.

One common example is flashing RPC-2 (hardware protected DVD region locking) with customised firmware to RPC-1 (software protected DVD region locking)

Why? My understanding is that where a drive is presented to Windows as having no RPC-2 protection, the software takes up the job of locking out wrong-region content.

Particularly when Video Lan Client bypasses all that crap - and more - in a much more practical fashion.
So my question is twofold.

What does RPC-1 flashing accomplish? And what else can you use newer/customized firmware to do?

I’ve seen people on this forum, and indeed elsewhere, discussing firmware flashing on optical disc drives, and I wonder why.

Improved write strategies and added support for wider range of media types.

One common example is flashing RPC-2 (hardware protected DVD region locking) with customised firmware to RPC-1 (software protected DVD region locking)

Some don’t want region control on their drives for two reasons. 1. They can get DVD’s from other regions and use in drive with no problems. 2. The output will allow to be played in other regions as well.