CD/DVD Drive Disappeared Cannot Restore Computer

vbimport

Hello,
I’m a newbie and read through the guides and searched the posts before adding this question, but it may be answered somewhere else. Please excuse the redundancy if it has been seen before.

I recently downloaded a tweak tool from another site, one I trust. This is not something I usually do.
The tool did create a system restore point, before making a mess of things. My CD/DVD drive disappeared from the computer and the device manager. I attempted system restore and start-up recovery Neither worked. System restore can’t complete, it gets stuck in the initial phase. I am using an installed Windows 7 on a HP Pavilion laptop. So I looked online. Attempted the Mr. Fix It solutions, without luck. Checked under the BIOS, and it is there. Ran a hardware diagnostic, both quick and comprehensive tests and the hardware passed. (So did the memory test). Attempted to change the boot order so that I could use my recovery disc, but that didn’t take. Looked up some answers on Microsoft that suggested I remove the upper filter from the CD/DVD registry key. That really messed things up. Now I can only boot into safe mode. I get the blue error screen otherwise. Called HP, LOL ! Posted on Microsoft and the site I downloaded the recommended tweak tool from (MG).

The drive is acting normal when I insert a CD/DVD, but it isn’t recognized. If I could only get the recovery disc to work I would be happy to wipe and start over. The really funny thing is that I am buying a new laptop next week. (Leaning towards a Dell XPS17). Typing on a Toshiba, with multiple problems, but keeps on going. The funny thing is the CD Drive won’t work on the Toshiba ! Lol.

Hi melm12

Welcome to the forum :flower:

You should have a recovery partition, open My Computer and see it should be displayed along side the C drive, if you do restart the computer and as soon as you see the blue screen start tapping on the F11 key on the keyboard this should restore it to factory shipped condision.

Try this: right click on My Computer, chose Manage (with Administrator privileges if offered) and a management console should open.
Navigate to Disk Management chapter and on the right panel you should see the cd drive listed. Right-clic on it and chose Change Drive Letter and Path, and fill the corresponding data there. Restart pc and the cd drive should appear normally in Win. Explorer.
As for thrashing the system, you should first try the command Run/ cmd as administrator, then sfc/ scannow to check/repair the system files.
If things don’t return to normal, you should try a Repair-install of Windows, this way you won’t lose settings and programs already in use.

I’ve got another idea. (Dim memories of going through this before have surfaced…)

Shut down the computer and swap in another optical drive, restart.

Let it go through it’s little dance of installing driver software and rebooting to complete the installation.

after it returns to the desktop make sure the substitute drive is working then shut down and swap your prefered drive back in and let it go through it’s little dance.

Chances the drive will work perfectly after it runs through it all

AD

Thanks for your response. I might be able to do that once I get another optical drive. I really should have an external cd/dvd drive on hand, are there any brands you recommend ?n:D

[QUOTE=melm12;2605010]Thanks for your response. I might be able to do that once I get another optical drive. I really should have an external cd/dvd drive on hand, are there any brands you recommend ?n:D[/QUOTE]

You don’t need another optical drive, simple disconnect the one/ones you have now and then reboot as AD suggested and then shut down the system and reattach the cables this will give you the same results without the need for another optical drive.

BTW AD nice response. :cool:

I will have to take the laptop apart in order to do that and I’m not sure exactly how to disconnect the optical drive, but I will give it a try.

[QUOTE=petremure;2604945]Try this: right click on My Computer, chose Manage (with Administrator privileges if offered) and a management console should open.
Navigate to Disk Management chapter and on the right panel you should see the cd drive listed. Right-clic on it and chose Change Drive Letter and Path, and fill the corresponding data there. Restart pc and the cd drive should appear normally in Win. Explorer.
As for thrashing the system, you should first try the command Run/ cmd as administrator, then sfc/ scannow to check/repair the system files.
If things don’t return to normal, you should try a Repair-install of Windows, this way you won’t lose settings and programs already in use.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The CD/DVD drive is nowhere in Windows 7. The repair function of the recovery console can’t fix it. I ran the sfc/scannow and that did not fix the problem.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2604829]Hi melm12

Welcome to the forum :flower:

You should have a recovery partition, open My Computer and see it should be displayed along side the C drive, if you do restart the computer and as soon as you see the blue screen start tapping on the F11 key on the keyboard this should restore it to factory shipped condision.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, already tried this as well as system restore using various points.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2604986]I’ve got another idea. (Dim memories of going through this before have surfaced…)

Shut down the computer and swap in another optical drive, restart.

Let it go through it’s little dance of installing driver software and rebooting to complete the installation.

after it returns to the desktop make sure the substitute drive is working then shut down and swap your prefered drive back in and let it go through it’s little dance.

Chances the drive will work perfectly after it runs through it all

AD[/QUOTE]
I will take the laptop apart and try to remove the drive, swap in another one, and follow your instructions. Thank you.

I’m a little late to this discussion.

[QUOTE=melm12;2604828] Checked under the BIOS, and it is there. Attempted to change the boot order so that I could use my recovery disc, but that didn’t take. [/QUOTE]
You should be able to change the boot order to the CD drive first. The BIOS should work even if your PC didn’t have an OS. They only reason a CD/DVD drive wouldn’t work before the OS is something is wrong with the drive or it’s connection to the MB. (See below next Quote)

[QUOTE=melm12;2605052] I will take the laptop apart and try to remove the drive, swap in another one, and follow your instructions. Thank you. [/QUOTE]
Since you don’t have experence at taking a laptop apart .Try this first (If you can):
Download & burn the Trinity Recsue Kit .iso with ImgBurn to a disc. It should fit on a CD-R (at least mine did but I haven’t did a new one for a while). Once you get it burned . Boot from it. This is just to see if the drive can boot. It will boot into the linux on the disc. If it does the drive should at least be able to read so should be able to be reccognized by Windows.

[QUOTE=melm12;2605052]I recently downloaded a tweak tool [/QUOTE]
What tweak tool ?
My opinion is this messed up some registry settings.

You also might try this.
You need Administrative rights.
Right click on My Computer/Manage
This will bring up the Computer Management window.
Select Storage/Disk Management
Scroll down to your CD-ROM Drive ( If it is there). If it’s not then this won’t work.
Right click on the drives icon & select:
Change Drive Letter and Paths…
Change the “Drive Letter” to an unassigned new letter.
Close the Computer Management window.
See if your drive appears. You may need to reboot.
If it does then you can reassign it’s old letter back if you want to.

Thanks for your suggestions Cholla.
The tweak tool was “Tweaking.com” which I downloaded from MajorGeeks. I trust their site recommendations. You are right, it did mess up the registry, so much that even the system restore wouldn’t work. I did make a restore point. I also have a back-up along with the original operating disks. The irony is that the CD/DVD drive was made invisible to Windows 7. It is nowhere to be found under any area in the OS. Talk about a catch-22. Lol

Typically to get the optical drive out of a notebook involves one or two screws in the bottom of the notebook and then it simply slides right out.

They are specifically made to be quickly replaceable

AD

I believe it it may be the mother board. I had someone look at it for me and they have seen this problem with HP laptops many times. The laptop is not worth fixing at the cost of a new motherboard from HP, but I found a new one on an Ebay site for half the price.

Anyone know of reputable sites for obtaining HP parts?