CD/DVD burner purchase question: SATA or IDE?

vbimport

Hello, Im planning on getting a better CD/DVD burner. What are the pros/cons of getting a SATA drive over the usual IDE?

Cons: harder to find, more expensive, you need to make sure that your controller is compatible with optical drives (not all are)

Pros: SATA offers no performance advantages whatsoever when it comes to CDs/DVDs… you’ll get the physical benefits of SATA, like the better cabling, and you won’t have the issue of having two drives sharing a channel

For SATA optical burners, better wait a little longer, at least months. While Seagate and Intel are advancing with SATA HDDs, not many SATA ODDs are not used because the manufacturers are not much interested.

I have more than 20 SATA cables and about 16-18 SATA HDDs including those using PATA to SATA converters but never used ODD on an SATA connector.

Yeah, run RAID with your extra SATA port instead (j/k, kinda). I have an Asus E616P3 that runs UDMA/5 and, yes, it is a lot faster than my previous drive. Not that I’m recommending that model necessarily, just that with a rounded cable I think your best bet is something like it. I copied 68% compression in under 14 minutes using CloneDVD2 on my blasse 3.0GHz system, I’m pretty happy with my drive solutions.

It was a question about CD/DVD burners, not CD/DVD-ROM drives.

IDE cabling should not affect drive performance. Those results you got are pretty nice, but are the result of your DVD-ROM’s read speed (which is something that varies between models) and your CPU power. You could’ve stuck in an old 40-conductor flat cable and still got those exact same results. Having a water pipe wide enough to handle 133 gallons per minute will do you no good if your water tank can let out water at only 20 gallons per minute.

Actually, the rounded cables are a case air flow solution. Sorry I should’ve been clearer. As a former SCSI man I can appreciate good quality cables, but I think a fast drive solution is the answer to encoding speed. That was my point. Fundamentally, it’s how fast you encode that ultimately determines speed. My friend has the exact same drive as mine on an 850MHz system that burns pretty much as fast as I do (maybe a minute longer per disk, haven’t statistically tested it or anything). His limiting factor is processor, encoding can take up to about 50 minutes.