CD , DVD and Blu-ray ripping becomes legal in the UK

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: CD , DVD and Blu-ray ripping becomes legal in the UK[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/03/myce-ipo-copyright-brochure-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The United Kingdom will update its copyright laws to make it legal for users to make backups of ebooks, music and movies they own.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cd-dvd-and-blu-ray-ripping-becomes-legal-in-the-uk-70991](http://www.myce.com/news/cd-dvd-and-blu-ray-ripping-becomes-legal-in-the-uk-70991)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Great for the UK finally a country with decent laws now if the US would only follow suit and define the laws like the UK has done.

This is a big step, and I’m glad to see it enacted, but I would rather they had included an explicit clause stating that breaking encryption or DRM for one’s own personal backups is permitted.

We’re not likely to see such sanity in the US anytime soon.

Your correct there is no sanity In the US too much money and foolish laws if they just did what the UK has just done it would be great but I don’t see that happening in my lifetime.

Rather bizarre too as the powers that be here in the UK are usually appallingly unaware when it comes to technology.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=ILLP;2723835]Your correct there is no sanity In the US too much money and foolish laws if they just did what the UK has just done it would be great but I don’t see that happening in my lifetime.[/QUOTE]
Its greed here in the USA, pure and unadulterated greed and it makes me sick.:rolleyes:

What…its illegal in the US?..I’ve always done it…☺.

“However, if copy protection is too restrictive, you may raise a complaint with the Secretary of State”

I may just have a word with him about the cinavia infected blu-rays I have. After all, the personal copies I have created are very restrictive and unwatchable :wink:

However, if copy protection is too restrictive, you may raise a complaint with the Secretary of State.”

Riiiing…Riiiing…
Hello?Secretary of State?
[I]Yes sir,how can I help you?[/I]
I have a complaint,I can’t create working private copies of my +500 big optical media collection…
[I]Which titles are involved,sir?[/I]
Too many to sum up,however most of them are released by Sony,Universal and Warner.
[I]Sorry sir,if it would’ve been an indie label,we could’ve helped you.
Unfortunually you can’t expect a dog to bite the hand whom feeds him…:disagree:[/I]
Click! :bigsmile:

the thing to look out for now is whether the UK does the same as the USA did. when it became legal in the USA to make backup copies of disks already purchased, it was made a totally useless law because the entertainment industries got a member of Congress to bring in a law that made it illegal to bypass the protections on those same disks. it obviously rendered the legal option of making backups completely useless because unless the protections are able to be bypassed you cant make a backup anyway. if ever there was a stitch up of the public, this was it!!

Good news for UK buyers. Bet the MPAA will ask the US Gov to enact economic sanctions against the UK as this new laws is contrary to their control freak philosophy of “We control everything you do”

If only the UK could/would use free trade agreements to for the US to do this. Goodbuy DMCA, hello free trade that actually respects freedom! Of course, that’s probably not going to happen. Instead, the publishing industries will pull their puppet strings, and the US will kill this new UK law.

I think it is also Illegal to make back ups of your movies in Australia as well. I no recently it actually used to be illegal to record free to air tv here in Australia where i live but the laws have recently been amended

DMCA must be revised to equally reflect the users of content and the creators not just one party such as the “creators” we as consumers deserve our day of FREEDOM from copywrong.

just in case there is anyone who hasn’t got the full message of this new law, any disk that is owned but has DRM or CINAVIA on cannot be copied as it will still be illegal to break the protection on any disk. any company that has been putting disks out with no protection on, i am sure, will very soon be joining those who already protect there disks, but done ‘under protest’, of course. this law is as useless as it was when it was enacted in the USA and with a certain head of government being unable to do enough for his counter part over the water, this law has been done just to mimic and please those industries. if anyone can tell me the point of enacting a new law that makes it legal to copy something but still illegal to bypass the protection, i’d be glad to hear it! this is a complete waste of time as far as consumers are concerned and has been done to show the public that the government is ‘making an effort’! yeah, right!!

[QUOTE=kevpc;2723911]this law has been done just to mimic and please those industries. if anyone can tell me the point of enacting a new law that makes it legal to copy something but still illegal to bypass the protection, i’d be glad to hear it! this is a complete waste of time as far as consumers are concerned and has been done to show the public that the government is ‘making an effort’! yeah, right!![/QUOTE]

Fully agreed!:iagree::iagree:
The new modification is just to put some wool over the eyes of the consumers,as consumers and fair use rights groups were asking this adjustment for over a few years now…

[QUOTE=firefly33;2723885]I think it is also Illegal to make back ups of your movies in Australia as well. I no recently it actually used to be illegal to record free to air tv here in Australia where i live but the laws have recently been amended[/QUOTE]
It is illegal in Australia to make back-up copies of both movies and music that you have bought though no-one has ever been prosecuted for doing so and I doubt that anyone ever will be. Nevertheless, an amendment to Australia’s copyright laws to permit the making of a back-up copy of movies and music that you’ve purchased (as is the case for computer programs, including games) would be welcome.

As far as free to air TV is concerned, it’s been legal for many years in Australia to record programs for later viewing.

This sounds a lot like the Canadian Rules. You can make personal backups but its illegal to hack the drm.

The only thing without drm are cd’s. All DVD’s and Bluray’s have DRM this the law is pretty useless because you can make a backup, but it’s illegal to strip the drm… lol

Canadians are very polite people, but don’t try and tell us what to do with the stuff we buy. If we want to make backups or convert content for a different device, that’s what we’re doing. The MPAA and RIAA aren’t pushing us around.

This won’t help dvdfab as these laws are for personal use, dvdfab is a business. Also this law doesn’t say you can break encryption so it will likely still be illegal under the DMCA.