CD Drives not working

vbimport

Firstly I would just like to say hi.

My Computer system was originally a Dell that I have rebuilt over time. The only original things in it are the CD Drives and the main Hard Driver.

I wasn’t sure where I should post this but, Here’s my problem.
I just recently installed Windows Vista Business and I had to reinstall several programs to get them working. One of them was Nero which I am currently having problems with, but that is something I can fix. All of a sudden both Drives in my computer have decided to stop working.

These are the Drives:
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B ATA Device
Philips DVD±RW DVD8631 ATA Device

When I check the Device Manager they come up with hardware problems. This is what Windows says.

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click ‘Check for solutions’ to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

I have tried letting Windows find a solution and nothing. I have tried uninstalling both the Drives and then the IDE and letting windows reinstall them and nothing. They worked for the first 2 days of the Vista Upgrade and suddenly stopped. I’m not sure what else to try.

Thank you for any help.

A bit of poking around online shows someone on another forum describing what sounds like the exact same problem. Someone there also posted a fix (related to deleting the keys named UpperFilters and LowerFilters in the registry). Check out the thread here… http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/drivers/16318-cd-drive-dvd-drive-not-working.html

I checked out the post, found and deleted the keys and my drives are back online.
I must have missed that one when I was searching around earlier.
Thanks for the help.

Very welcome. Good luck!