Cd drive... reading discs, not burning

vbimport

Hello there,
I’ve searched every site for help, but all recommendations haven’t helped. My Asus Cd drive will read dvds and CDs but won’t burn either of them. When I put a blank disk in it says “windows can’t read the disc in drive E:. Make sure that the disc uses a format that windows recognizes.” I’ve tried a few different discs, all of which have burned before. I’ve tried running Fix it to no avail. I tampered with regedit and tried finding the HIkeys and lokeys as some sites have recommended and found neither. I’ve also uninstalled/disabled/ updated drivers and firmware and still nothing. I even bought an external drive because I needed to get files to disc asap, but I’m having the same issue. What else might I be missing?

Hiya :slight_smile:

Which version of Windows are you using? And are you using any separate burning software?

I’m using windows 7. Thanks!

To do a little troubleshooting, download ImgBurn & try to burn a disc using that. (Note: when installing ImgBurn, make sure you select “Custom Setup” to deselect any value-add software, and/or temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet so the installer doesn’t even offer anything extra. ImgBurn itself is safe, but the value-add software that might be offered is completely unnecessary and sort of annoying to remove.)

Hopefully you’ll be able to succeed at burning a disc this way, and if ImgBurn detects anything blatantly wrong, it tends to tell you in its log.

Thanks Albert! That program works, now why won’t any other app work?

This may not be the problem but should be set this way anyway.
Right click on the drive & select properties.
Then the Recording tab.
Set your drive as the default burning drive.

unfortunately it isn’t showing the record tab! It does show a sharing tab but I’m not able to adjust anything in there.

Do you have any other recording software installed? Do you know how long it’s been since the built-in Windows burning tool worked?

Try this:Step 1
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Click to open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives
To edit the drive type so that Windows recognizes the drive as recordable, follow these steps:
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, click the Volume{GUID} folder under Drives, where GUID is a 32-character identifier.
Step 2
Note If your computer has more than one CD drive, an additional Volume{GUID} folder is listed for each drive.
In the right side of the Registry Editor window, double-click Drive Type.
In the Value data box, type 1 if the drive is a CD-R drive or 2 if it is a CD-RW drive.
Click OK, and thenTo see whether Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device now, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive, and then click Properties.
If the Recording tab is displayed, Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.
Click Cancel. close Registry Editor.

Thanks Cholla, I tried that as well. I don’t understand why it would do the same thing with an external cd drive as well that I just purchased?

Have you tried running :
sfc /scannow from a command window?

That is supposed to restore system files .

Going with what Albert posted " other recording software" that is currently installed or even the same that has been uninstalled.
A bad uninstall can cause problems like this . Or a software that is installed currently can too.

Before you try uninstalling all your “recording” software & reinstalling any that you’ve uninstalled then uninstalling it again.

This will sometimes fix this problem.
Install Virtual CloneDrive from slysoft.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

If that doesn’t help you can just uninstall it if you don’t want it .