CD Drive not working after using StarForce Nightmare

I used Starforce Nightmare to disable my CD/DVD drive and now I can’t re-enable the drives. I have tried using SFN to re-enable my drive and the secondary IDE channel but when I reboot it again hide the secondary IDE and the drive can’t read any CD. I have tried looking into a number of forums and it seems a number of people had the same problem but there were no proper solution which worked for me.
I tried partioning with Partition Magic to backup my softwares and then reinstall my OS (that was the idea) but for some wierd reson it failed and luckily with a number of try my Drive read the WinXP installation CD and installed the OS. Now I find that my Drive is reading a DVD but its not reading the CD very well (Sometimes does and sometimes it fails).
Can anyone help me know what exact changes were made by the SFN so that I can get my drive read the CDs properly? Or is there any other way I can fix this problem (may be by flashing/ updating my BIOS)?
Please please help me. I have already lost all my softwares. I will be happy atleast to get my CD drive back in order.

I doubt anyone can tell you “what exactly were changed” then the coders of Starforce itself…

Erm, he is referring to a tool called “Starforce Nightmare”, not to starforce itself…

@Anide:
Get a bootable CD (I prefer Knoppix or Kanotix) and try if you can boot from that. If so, then the drive is not damaged.

Michael

Yeah, good, advice taken, lol.
I’ve mixed it up, but I avoid such crap anyways.

I think my drive is still working cause its reading a DVD without any problem and I have also installed XP Home from a CD though after a number of tries. The problem is that incase of CDs its not reading very well (Sometimes it does and sometimes it fails). But when it does recognize the CD then it reads without any problem at proper speed too.
I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

Hi,

Did you install on a fresh formatted harddisk or did you do just a repair install? If even booting from you Windows CD failed often, then your drive may indeed be damaged.

The problem is that incase of CDs its not reading very well (Sometimes it does and sometimes it fails). But when it does recognize the CD then it reads without any problem at proper speed too.
Maybe the CD part of your drive is dying. Sometimes cleaning the drive helps.

Michael