Cd drive for audio - recomendations

Yes another ‘which drive is best’ thread, but I did spend an hour searching through the formus. :confused:

I need a drive for ripping and burning audio cd’s exclusively. Any recomendations? So far I’m looking at plextor premium, but I am having a hard time convincing myself to part with $150 on ebay. Also I’m looking at a nice samsung drive http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=16355&vpn=SH-R522C%2FBSWN%20&manufacture=Samsung

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and it needs to be ide.

cheers

Welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

I find NEC/Optiarc drives are good for audio CD burning, so you might want to research some of those too. :wink:

Hi,

recent Samsung [I]DVD writers[/I] (SH-S20x series) are IMO excellent CD writers provided they are fed with good media :slight_smile:
They are also very good readers, which will help ripping bad CDs.

And they are btw cheaper than the CDRW drive you linked to :eek:

Latest NEC/Optiac drives are rebadged Liteons - these aren’t that good for burning CDs with low jitter.

Michael

Ah yeah, I meant Proper NEC/Optiarc drives (don’t have any model numbers to hand ATM apart from the 5170S that I use).

And of course I meant DVD burners :iagree:

Agree with Samsung as well though, my SH-S182D’s pretty good at audio. Again also a terrific reader.

[QUOTE=mciahel;1918688]recent Samsung [I]DVD writers[/I] (SH-S20x series) are IMO excellent CD writers provided they are fed with good media :slight_smile:
They are also very good readers, which will help ripping bad CDs.[/quote]:iagree: My Samsung SH-S203B unit is the best audio CD ripper [I]and[/I] burner I ever owned. It’s close to perfect. And I’m picky. :stuck_out_tongue:

It works very well with EAC, in conjunction with the C2 feature you have secure rips AND speed. :cool: (but you need to uncheck “allow speed reduction durin extraction” or you’ll run into speed problems with the 203B :cop: ).

Burns with perfect jitter (constant < 7.5%) up to @40X with most CDR media, up to @32X with TY CDR media. Even at higher speeds jitter is still very good. Before owning this drive, I had to resort to @8X to @12X speed as max, to obtain such low jitter figures.

The NEC/Optiarc are good CD burners too :iagree:, but not as great as the 203B, and they are fairly behind it for ripping.

would the SH-S202J be equivalent? My interface is ide.

& thanks for the replies.

Hi,[QUOTE=bburl;1919669]would the SH-S202J be equivalent? My interface is ide.[/quote]I think so. :iagree:

& thanks for the replies.
You’re welcome :slight_smile: